Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Queries about LC and RC filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

czech

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
r c filter disadvantages

hi guys, i need help from u guys, i search the net but ddint get the answer to wad i want. my question is : What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a LC filter as compared to a RC filter? please help me. thanks :|

1- filter order of LC is twice of RC
2- RC filter consume power as heating loss but LC is lossless

czech,
If you are referring to stricly passive RC filters, then here are some disadvantages:
~
Can not implement the classic filter types, such as Butterworth, Chebyshev, Legendre, Bessel, etc.
~
Maximum "Q" is 0.5.
~
If you include active RC filters, then here are some advantages:
~
Filter characteristics do not depend on load resistance.
~
Capacitors are phsically smalller than inductors at low frequencies.
~
The main disadvantage of active RC filters is that the gain-bandwidth product must be much higher than the maximum frequency of interest. This limits their applicaltion to relatively low frequencies.
~
Disadvantages of LC filters:
~ Must be designed for specified source and load reistances.
~
~ Inductors that are close to ideal inductors are difficult to design, so the final design must be "tweaked" to allow for finite Q, distributed capacitance.
~ Inductors for low frequency applications are physically large.
Regards,
Kral

thnx for the reply. wad abt advantages of LC filters? anyone?? i mostly understand wad u guys talking abt..

czech,
For a given number of components, twice the filter order can be obtained as with RC filters. This means twice the attenuation slope (db/decade).
~
Can be impolemented for high frequency operation.
~
No power required (as opposed to active RC)
~
Rugged. Can take abuse such as voltage surges.
Regards,
Kral

Kral said:
czech,
~
Capacitors are phsically smalller than inductors at low frequencies.
~
Regards,
Kral
kral
I unable to digest the fact prvided by you..at low frequency cap will be large not small as indicated by you and it will decrease if frequency is increased.

Status
Not open for further replies.