Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Quartus II] Ignored default value

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeneas81

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ignored default value for signal

Dear all,
I'm wondering why is the default value assign to a signal is always ignored? Is there any special constraints to assign a default value to a signal?
All I want to do is to assign a default value to a signal and use that value until external input supplies a new value, then the new value will be assigned to the signal for usage.
Help please, as I want to set a default value rather than using a reset pin to do those signal value initializations.
Thanks in advance!

Rgds.

[qu@rtus II] Ignored default value

Hello aeneas81,

If you synthesize a design default values are ignored due to the structure of CPLDs and FPGAs. The only way to implement default values is to set the value with a statement in a reset process.

Which HDL are you using?

Bye,
cube007

Thanks...
I'm using VHDL in Altera Quartus II ver4.0

Hello aeneas81,

for VHDL it looks like the following code.

architecture behavioural of test is
begin
process (reset, clk, next_value)
begin
if (reset = '1') then
value <= "0000";
elsif (clk'event and clk = '1') then
value <= next_value;
end if;
end process;
end behavioural;

Bye,
cube007

Hi,

Have a look to Quartus help on "Power-Up Level logic option"

This option can be set in the Assignment Editor (Assignments menu). This option is available for all Altera devices supported by the Quartus II software.

hope this will help you :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back