Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Quality Factor Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zayzoon

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I want to know if Quality Factor can be measured using the following:

by finding admittance: Y=G+jB

does that mean Q=|B/G| ?

PLease respond, Thanks.

I need a solid answer. reason: ive seen a form completely opposite in a published paper but i suspect it is wrong. the math just doesnt make sense....

thanks for the attempt....fyi im looking at narrowband amplifier circuits however it really shouldnt change the answer..

Hi,

I may be wrong, but i dont think that Q=|B/G|....the general definition of Q is that it equals w*( energy stored/avg power dissipated)
Consider the example of a parallel RLC circuit. Here Y = G + j/wL (w^2*L*C - 1) and Q = w0 * (1/2*C*((I*R)^2))/(1/2 * I^2 * R) = w0*R*C.

Hopefully it clarifies or else let me know if something is wrong

Y=G+jB refers to a parallel equivalent circuit. Consider an ideal capacitor or inductor with a parallel loss conductance. Obviously a high quality factor requires the conductance G to be low related to the susceptance B. So Q=|B/G| is right. But it only applies to simple lossy L or C elements, not to RLC circuits.

Thanks for the help FvM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back