Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quadrature Hybrid Coupler for Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

huytergan

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

I wanna design a quadrature hybrid coupler for antenna. There're couple of videos on youtube that explain and design. I firstly wanna design it, see the result and then apply to a patch antenna. However, the videos apply electric-field boundaries in all directions, but antenna is analyzed far-field (open-add space) What's the true here, should I analyze the coupler as open-add space too? In this case I don't get what I want. But, I get in the case of E-field applied in all directions. My mind is confused... (I'm using CST btw)

Thanks in advance
Regards

Any type of coupler should NOT radiate EM waves.
A printed coupler (as any other printed or microstrip component) would radiate to some extent, do to the nature of the EM fields surrounding the lines.
To get low insertion loss, the radiation of those fields should be kept as low as possible, which is in opposite when is about a printed antenna, which should radiate the EM fields as much as possible.
Simulating a printed coupler with a 2D simulator should be enough, but simulating in 3D or far-field (together with the antenna) is not wrong either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back