Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

QT 3.2 - Has anyone used it to create a gui?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitr8

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
QT 3.2

Any one used it to create a gui. or used it for opengl.

I want to know how easy or hard it is.

plus i'm trying to understand that it is a complete application framework, meaning it has capabilities of both Visual C++ and Visual Basic. right

Ye!, we use QT 3.2 for developping visual applications under Linux (and if you want under Windo$ too). We haven't done anything with Opengl but for GUI yes. If you consider the environment the QT3.2 + KDevelop & QTDesigner, is quite similar to the Microsoft Visual C++. And the QT objects and clases has a structure similar to the Borland Object Windows.

It is easy to use if you know something about Visual C++ (KDevelop has wizards like the Microsoft Visual C++ etc, you can design the windows inside a visual environment) but it is not like Visual Basic. Visual C++ requires some knowledge about OOP under windows.

Katos

Cool
QT designer is included in QT 3.2.
QT designer is like visual basic. I've sceen screenshots that look exactly like visual basic.

PLus u r saying that I need Kdevelop as well. won't QT 3.2 have kdevelop capabilities. because kdevelop doesn't come for windows hence it is not cross platform as QT

The QT designer for linux is like the utility that Visual C++ has for designing the windows. I think that it's not like Visual Basic. In VB you draws a window, press for example a buton and you can add the functions for each 'event' (i.e. press, release, focus...). This comodity doesn't exist in QT designer (or in Visual C++). QT designer is a resource editor tool that automaticaly generates the source files for including the resources into your project.

Kdevelop is a free programming environment for linux (only the environment, the compiler that you uses are usualy the GCC toolchain) similar to the Visual C++ environment. You don't need that for use QT. I guess that you can use the Visual C++ environment (including compiler) but linking with the QT library.

Katos.

QT is a good tool. It's easy to use.....just look at their built in tutorial and you will have a brief image on how it works! good luck.

qt 2.3 and qt 3.2 has some fields that are not compatilbe.
use qt you can fastly create simple GUI,but sometimes you need more time to deep into it to dump it's behaviour

Re: QT 3.2

Is QT free for both Linux and Win$$ platforms?

QT 3.2

can perl be used with Qt. If yes is there any good book available for download in ebook form.

Regards

Qt 3.2, is one of the leading GUI-toolkits, believe it or not it has been there even before Linux exploded on the internet. Qt has been used on many platforms even Windows.
It is easy to, infact I will attach a book for everyone who wants to learn about it

can perl be used with Qt. If yes is there any good book available for download in ebook form.

Of course, check
http://perlqt.sourceforge.net/
although I don't know about an ebook for it,
but first read through the C++ book for Qt, which is also an official book from TrollTech, you will definitely get an idea how to use Qt

The QT designer for linux is like the utility that Visual C++ has for designing the windows. I think that it's not like Visual Basic. In VB you draws a window, press for example a buton and you can add the functions for each 'event' (i.e. press, release, focus...). This comodity doesn't exist in QT designer (or in Visual C++). QT designer is a resource editor tool that automaticaly generates the source files for including the resources into your project.

Of you can do event-based programming in Qt.
Look, in Qt they have this Signals and Slot architecture, say when a button object named button one is clicked it emits a signal called button1::clicked() which then activates a slot, which is a function which handles the click event for the button object.
And No Qt is not a resourse tool, you can built entire programs with Qt, I've seen a guy make an entire Intrusion Detection System in Qt Designer, and doing all the coding in it.

You can use the Signals and Slots Editor in Qt to manipulate connections in forms. Qt is very much like VB, but it is better in the sense that VB is limited by the scope of its functionality, but in Qt, you directly refer to the Linux Kernel, Glib, KDE classes, giving your applications the entire control of the system, and you can do anything with it.
Additionally, dont like C++, no problem you can use Qt with python, perl, java etc.

Kdevelop is a free programming environment for linux (only the environment, the compiler that you uses are usualy the GCC toolchain) similar to the Visual C++ environment. You don't need that for use QT. I guess that you can use the Visual C++ environment (including compiler) but linking with the QT library.

Yes Kdevelop is one the best programming Environments I've ever seen. The strength in Kdevelop lies that it brings the same tools to a lot of other languages which lack good IDEs such as python, ada, C etc.
In KDE 3.3, it is better than ever. now it has even and inbuilt Gui creator, modelled after Qt.

This is the Official Qt book for 3.2 (3.2.4 is the latest version) have a look at the topics
Chapter 1. Getting Started
Chapter 2. Creating Dialogs
Chapter 3. Creating Main Windows
Chapter 4. Implementing Application Functionality
Chapter 5. Creating Custom Widgets

Part II: Intermediate Qt
Chapter 6. Layout Management
Chapter 7. Event Processing
Chapter 8. 2D and 3D Graphics
Chapter 9. Drag and Drop
Chapter 10. Input/Output
Chapter 11. Container Classes
Chapter 12. Databases
Chapter 13. Networking
Chapter 14. XML
Chapter 15. Internationalization
Chapter 16. Providing Online Help
Chapter 17. Multithreading
Chapter 18. Platform-Specific Features

Appendix A. Installing Qt
A Note on Licensing
Installing Qt/Windows
Installing Qt/Mac
Installing Qt/X11

Thank you very much. Your you have used the serial port from QT?

QT 3.2

Qt 2.3 and Qt 3.2 are differ in some utilizing predefined variables and developing programmings also.

Qt 3.2 is more user interface than 2.3,and we can easily develop the GUI based applications , but some amount of attention is require in dumping

Status
Not open for further replies.