Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Qsys - "Clock Source" default component

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaiko

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Anytime a new Qsys project is opened a "clock source" component is automatically generated.

However,
You can delete it and generate the system without it...

So what's the purpose of this component?
Is it simply a synchronous reset generator?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 131

In my noob viewpoint, the advantage of using this component is the possibility of the tool to provide to the designer the ability to have a visual way to assign clocks to other modules through the same avalon interface, avoiding sync errors. Just a guess...

Reactions: shaiko

shaiko

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Suppose you're right...
So what's the difference between a clock source and a clock bridge?

As far as I know, one is used for internal use only within the same design, and the other is used to export clocks among different clock domains. I'm not expert on this, but also learning, so may be wrong.

Me too.
Unfortunately, the documentation isn't very good and ambiguous many times.

Assume that you want to run NIOS in the QSYS project. You will need the clock source so that you can assign your own clock.
I did not use clock bridge before, so I don't know about it.

Assume that you want to run NIOS in the QSYS project. You will need the clock source so that you can assign your own clock.
I did not use clock bridge before, so I don't know about it.
You can say this about any other synchronous component...
The clock source isn't mandatory in all cases.

The clock source isn't mandatory in all cases.

So let me make a reflective question: Is there any drawback on using the clock source done with Qsys ? Considering that all the other stuffs are supposedly connected and visualised in graphical mode, don't you agree that making this way turn the project more easy to support/debug ?

So let me make a reflective question: Is there any drawback on using the clock source done with Qsys ?
It's really a matter of preference.
I really dislike the Qsys's single dimension layout. It becomes too busy and crowded very quickly. Therefore I prefer keeping the number of components to a minimum.

don't you agree that making this way turn the project more easy to support/debug ?
Not really. Unless you require the extra synchronous reset (native to the clock source component) it's just another dial on an already crowded dashboard. Why not export your clock instead ?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back