Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Q]HOW to measure the square wave length ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

eos33

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,
I 'd like to make a square wave measurement circuit to record the serial signal from
infrared remote control or radio control encoder.

Refer to the figure I attached~~

T1 : Signal A High Time
T2 : Signal A Low Time
T3 : Signal A High Time

I have a standard 8951 single chip and a Lattice 4032 CPLD.
Could you please give me some suggestions or ideas for implement?

Thank you for your kindly help.

This is only an example how can you do it...

Connect this signal to Int0.
This will be activated on the falling edge.
Negate this signal and connect to Int1.
This will be activated on the rising edge of your original signal.
Start software counter1 on Interrupt 0 .. stop it on Interrupt 1.. start software counter2 on Interrupt 1 and stop it on interrupt 0 ...and so on

can you use square pulse to test the length?

You can also do this way- make a counter(hardware) and enable it to run whenever the signal A is high. But you have to run this counter with a clock frequency much higher than signal A frequency.

It looks like you will need two counters: one to count T1, T3.. and second to count T2, T4...
They can be fed of the same generator. Your problem will be how to capture the count as next pulse,T3, will overwrite count of T1.

You see, with a microcontroller you can capture the whole sequence and then read it from the micro memory; harware solution is also possible but not feasible and quite tricky...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back