Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PWM control of BLDC motors (brushless DC motors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhanus

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pic bldc

Greetings,

I'm building control panel for 5 BLDC motors.

My question are:

1. Can BLDC be controlled with PWM?
I ask this because brushless DC motors are electronically commutated. So in fact I'm messing up allready electronic pulses that drive originally coils.

2. If they can be controlled with PWM, which PIC to use?
PIC 16f628 has only one PWM channel and 16f876 two channels, I need 5 that have diffrent signals on it, in the same time. :eek:

3. Well I want to control all 5 motors and since I never used PWM in PIC, does PWM work in background like TMR0?
Because I want to have graphic percentage of speed of all 5 motors on LCD. Also pushbuttons need to be read for control of motors, all in the same time. :eek:

Thank you.

bldc pwm control

Microchip has an application note about BLDC motors and PIC's.

control brushless dc atmega8

Yes they have application notes on BLDC motors, but the problem is that they cover direct control over coils.

I want to have control over BLDC motors, but without changing original circuitry of PC fan motor, in other words something like Plug'n'Play. :|

Thanks

brushless pwm control refer

visit rcgroups.com and search there for diy bldc controller u will find a thread by a user named kreature.u will find a lot info there.
and i have seen some commercial bldc controllers which uses atmega8 which has 6 pwm channel i think

pwm control + bldc

faraz101, thanks for information.

bldc motors

u welcome friend

jhanus

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
bldc pic18f4431

You can get pic's that are designed for motor control with 6 or 8 pwm outputs and encoder or hall sensor inputs.
Such as the pic18f4431.
and also the dsp pic range.
Check out microchip for schematics and application notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.