Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

punctured convolution codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

vena

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
when do we use punctured convolution codes?

Punctured convolution coding is generally used in "CHANNEL CODING" of DATA in case of GSM

Punctured convolution coding is generally used in "CHANNEL CODING" of DATA in case of GSM

correct. but my query is when and why do we use punctured convolution code instead of normal convolution code?

Alright you did not mention "why" before. Anyhow , well as you know convolution coding creates redundancy in code i.e. a rate 1/2 ,length 7, Convolutional Encoder System takes one-bit symbols as inputs and generates 2-bit symbols as outputs. If you assume 3-bit message words as inputs, then the encoder will generate 6-bit codeword outputs.

Now puncturing is a technique used to make a m/n rate code from a "basic" rate 1/2 code. It is done by deletion of some bits in the encoder output. Bits are deleted according to puncturing matrix.

e.g "a puncture pattern to create a rate 3/4 code from the previous rate 1/2 code using the puncture pattern vector [1;1;0;1;1;0]. The ones in the puncture pattern vector indicate that bits in positions 1, 2, 4, and 5 are transmitted, while the zeros indicate that bits in positions 3 and 6 are punctured or removed from the transmitted signal. The effect of puncturing is that now, for every 3 bits of input, the punctured code generates 4 bits of output (as opposed to the 6 bits produced before puncturing). This results in a rate 3/4 code.

So generally it is used to lower down the bitrate as the complexity of a decoder increases rapidly with the code rate. Puncturing is a technique that allows the encoding and decoding of higher rate codes using standard rate 1/2 encoders and decoders.

What the matrix basically does is remove the most useless bits from the pattern based on probability theorem.

I hope this helped !!!

Thanx @:pH. Can you also tell me the difference between these and Trellis coded modulation?
Also if I have to choose an option between convolution coding,punctured convolution coding and Trellis coded modulation for STBC ,then which one should I go for?

See the choice of codes depends on application , for a bursty application which can be easily re transmitted "Punctured convolution" is highly preferred :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space%E2%80%93time_block_code

For TCM refer foll material :

**broken link removed**

---------- Post added at 20:21 ---------- Previous post was at 20:18 ----------

hope it helpd !!!

Reactions: vena

vena

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
See the choice of codes depends on application , for a bursty application which can be easily re transmitted "Punctured convolution" is highly preferred :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space%E2%80%93time_block_code

For TCM refer foll material :

**broken link removed**

---------- Post added at 20:21 ---------- Previous post was at 20:18 ----------

hope it helpd !!!

Yes it indeed helped. Very nice tutorial for TCM. Thanx a lot. Next task is to implement it in MATLAB.Any suggestions?

well i have never tried it myself , good suggestion i will soon try but for now sorry i have no info on that

Status
Not open for further replies.