Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pulse Modulation techniques Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

reyge

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In the modulator side (whether PPM, PWM, PCM, or Delta Modulation) , a specific timeslot is alloted for one discrete level right? So, lets say i have 8 discrete levels and i have to represent them in bits ( so i'll need 3 bits). If i am going to transmit one discrete level, i have to send the 3 bits serially ( MSB or LSB first? ).

Now, in the demodulator / decoder side, how does one distinguish this group of 3 bits from the other 3 bits that represent another discrete level? Is there some kind of a synchronization like a clock that is transmitted together with the pulse modulated signal?

thanks. i could really use some help

Hi just some knowledge on this
lets take the case of PPM in your case we have 3 bits so there are 2^3 -1 possible values that can be represented . Now all these 7 will be representes as each position in pulse . ie say we have a pulse of 1MHZ that is 0- 1 Us(makes one slot )in this o.1 us will represent 1 an 0.2 Us -> 2 and so o . there will be start signal before the first symbol is transmitted in this case

Status
Not open for further replies.