Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pull-up resistors for PIC18F

Status
Not open for further replies.

free_f0x

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
well , i read the threads related with my questions i think i need to ask two more questions

1) im using the circuit below and when im connecting pull-up or pull down resistor the system not working ! , i know that PORTB in PIC18F4550 has internal resistors but even when i connect resistors to PORTD system in not working as it should be.

2) why do people prefer to use 0 as input to activate their pin ( i mean sinking mode)

Thank you

check the circuit there
https://media.tripod.lycos.com/preview/3250826/1024x1024-1745623.png

1) im using the circuit below and when im connecting pull-up or pull down resistor the system not working ! , i know that PORTB in PIC18F4550 has internal resistors but even when i connect resistors to PORTD system in not working as it should be.
"Not working" is in fact a vague information. I understand, that the circuit is intended to use internal pull-up resistors (also Port D has it). If programmed correctly, which is the critical point, I guess, it will work.

The fact, that PIC18 only has weak pull-up but no pull-down resistors suggests to use them with active low switches, as the present circuit does. Isn't it?

you should use pul lup resistors (10k)with portD when you want to interface mechanical switches.
when you want to use a certain pin as an input you have to load Tris Register with 1

"Not working" is in fact a vague information. I understand, that the circuit is intended to use internal pull-up resistors (also Port D has it). If programmed correctly, which is the critical point, I guess, it will work.

The fact, that PIC18 only has weak pull-up but no pull-down resistors suggests to use them with active low switches, as the present circuit does. Isn't it?

ok , in short speech , when i power the system without any pull-up resistors for PORTD it will work, but when i use pull-ups it will not.
no working :im not able to receive logic 1 when i press any switch connected to PORTD.

PS: system is working nicely, i want to understand the behavior of the chip.

---------- Post added at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was at 19:13 ----------

you should use pul lup resistors (10k)with portD when you want to interface mechanical switches.
when you want to use a certain pin as an input you have to load Tris Register with 1

when i load 10k im not able to receive logic 1, when i remove it system will be happy! im trying to understand why!

Apparently, something is wrong in your real circuit, but it can't be seen from the schematic.

Apparently, something is wrong in your real circuit, but it can't be seen from the schematic.

Thank you for reply FvM

the circuit is working with no one problem i post this just to make more understanding of chip behavior, i re-check the circuit seems ok

Status
Not open for further replies.