Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pseudo Random Binary Noise Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven_arnold_85

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pseudo random vhdl

Hello,

I asked a similar question earlier to this one except that I wanted to implement a pseudo random binary noise generator using physical hardware. That worked well.

Now I am wondering how I would go about implementing one on an EPLD. Does anyone know of where I might go about finding some code written in a form that can be implented on an ALTERA chip? I was hoping to write in VHDL. I am familiar with it so I was hoping someone could give me some code in that form.

Thankyou

Oh, for those of you that don't know, pseudo random is different to truely random in that if the generator is restarted, the exact same pattern of numbers will be "spat" out again. Truely random generators would produce a new set of numbers.

noise generator verilog

Hi

Do you want to generate a signal with random bit stream? or pseudo random code for spread spectrum communication.?

let me know clearly. If you want the first one, I can give you a simple VHDL code to generate random binary signal

Regards,
Vishwa

pseudorandom vhdl

One very easy method is to use an LFSR. That's a shift register with an XNOR feedback gate and a one-bit output. Here is an 18-bit LFSR in Verilog (probably easy translate to VHDL):
Code:
module top (clk, noisebit);
  input             clk;
  reg        [17:0] lfsr=0;
  output            noisebit;

assign noisebit = lfsr[0];

always @ (posedge clk)
    lfsr <= {lfsr, lfsr[17] ~^ lfsr[10]};
endmodule
Nice Xilinx app notes with table of different length registers:
https://www.xilinx.com/bvdocs/appnotes/xapp210.pdf (best)
https://www.xilinx.com/bvdocs/appnotes/xapp052.pdf

binary noise

Hello,

I want to generate a signal with random bit stream. Would you be able to show me the VHDL code for this please?

Thankyou

random bit generator + vhdl

My small Verilog module does that. I'll run it through a VHDL converter ...

Code:
ENTITY top IS
  PORT (
    clk           : IN bit;
    noisebit      : OUT bit);
END top;

ARCHITECTURE translated OF top IS
  SIGNAL lfsr     :  bit_vector(17 DOWNTO 0) := "000000000000000000";

BEGIN
  noisebit <= lfsr(0) ;

PROCESS
  BEGIN