Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PSD 14.2 vs WG2002 - experience or suggestion welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDA21

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
wg2002

Any experiences or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

WG2002 is high end design tool but very expense. It costs around $36K for the complete package + maintenance fee. PSD14 is more affordable but the auto-router is not as good.

Hope this helps

VIVIET said:
WG2002 is high end design tool but very expense. It costs around $36K for the complete package + maintenance fee. PSD14 is more affordable but the auto-router is not as good.

Hope this helps

Specctra is very good!

Frankly speaking,Specctra is something worse than AARE of WG2002!!!

AH????
This is the first time I've heard this in years. Specctra is the best autorouter around!!!

Mentor AutoActive RE is really the best one!

i think CCT is the best!

i agree P*S*D* is best because it can to change many config,macro,hot key, script and external program for personal.

wg2002 is better than psd

If you want to have a routed design than any autorouter which is capable to route 100% is ok.
If you want to save space/layers/ have a nice routing ... no autorouter is suitable to achieve the goal ... especcially if the design has lot of nets.

Even the Cadence guys can't route an example board with 8 layers which has already been routed with 6 layers...

Tobs.

PSD14.2 is better,when PSD15.0 out the PSD15.0 is best.

For rouing,mentor'sautoactive is best.
for si, mentor's icx is best.
for design capture, mentor'epd is best.
but lazy mentor wanna to terminate the
epd.
cadence is worst.you will see why synopys crash cadence.in fact, cadence
only strong in marketing. you are silly too
from japan

PSD 14.2 is better, and spectra the best autorouter that i know....

I like Mentor .but I like spectra too. I've not use AARE maybe It's the best!!!!

give reasons

It would be nice if people gave the types of boards they used these programs on and the reasons for their preferences.

One of my friends lays out boards for ECL with differential lines. He swears by a Cadence product that lets him manually simultaneously route the two differential lines with automatic spacing between them and equal lengths.

PSD vs WG

"PSD 14.2 is best", "wg2002 is best"

these r just good answers for a vote but I think if u spend time to put up why u make the conclusion people will benefit more than just mere votes

just a view anyway

Re: give reasons

flatulent said:
He swears by a Cadence product that lets him manually simultaneously route the two differential lines with automatic spacing between them and equal lengths.

Actually, in Mentor Graphics (formerly Innoveda) PowerPCB also have this option (High Speed Design) in thier package. very useful especially during manual routing with online DRC. It can even specified the minimum and maximum length of the trace.

Should the desired length is too long for the routed length, it will create a shape that look like a pulse of train on a scope inorder to kept within limits.

Pretty cool but expensive (abt US$13-15K) just for this option.

allegro is hard to learn.

I tried allegro and expedition. I decided on expedition on several reasons:

DC and expedition ECO/cross probing very smooth.
better lib manager in expedition. more organized.

the GUI is bad in allegro, it is a unix program just turned windows. And it crashes kind often. well expedition crashes too but less often. I just found expedition easier to learn. And easier to create library.

I was using pads, I used to go from powerpcb to blazer all the time, very frustrating, with expedtion, everything in one package, much easier, save a lot of time.

For autorouting, well, I cannot really say, I always use mixed manual and auto, and they are all good enough for what I am doing.

It is actually other feature that becomes more important to me. faster to create a board, faster to make changes, expedition has the expand trace feature which is very useful.

well I will stick to expedition for a while. I love it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back