Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PS4 chip replacement not going to plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveZurich

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys and girls,

I'm new to the Forum. Irish guy living in Zurich for the last 10 years.

I have specifically registered to ask for your help. I have a JCD8898 at 450°C with flow rate 50% and I am not able to desolder the PS4 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth BGA chip.

I did have a large opening nozzle on the hotair gun, which didn't work. I removed the nozzle, so I could get maximum heat to the full area of the chip. That's when the cap came off the package. I'm not concerned that the shielding has come loose I'm concerned that the solder won't let go. There's very little space to get low melt solder in place perhaps that's what I need to do next?

I've watched a lot of YouTube videos and the desoldering seemed quite straightforward.

Please help and give me some guidance...

Attachments

• IMG_20220524_161706.jpg
    IMG_20220524_161706.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20220524_183448.jpg
    IMG_20220524_183448.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20220524_162040.jpg
    IMG_20220524_162040.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 162

I forgot to add the following information. I've kept the hot air nozzle within 1 cm for approximately 5 minutes.

I tried from above and below.
I even managed to toast my capton tape.

Any questions, please ask.

Hi guys and girls,

I'm new to the Forum. Irish guy living in Zurich for the last 10 years.

I have specifically registered to ask for your help. I have a JCD8898 at 450°C with flow rate 50% and I am not able to desolder the PS4 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth BGA chip.

I did have a large opening nozzle on the hotair gun, which didn't work. I removed the nozzle, so I could get maximum heat to the full area of the chip. That's when the cap came off the package. I'm not concerned that the shielding has come loose I'm concerned that the solder won't let go. There's very little space to get low melt solder in place perhaps that's what I need to do next?

I've watched a lot of YouTube videos and the desoldering seemed quite straightforward.

Please help and give me some guidance...
First thing that comes to mind is use an 'Hot Plate' on the underside of the board. Its likely the PCB has copper groundplanes internally which is likely wicking away your heat. if you don't ave an hotplate you could try a cloths iron.

Thanks for replying ScopeProbe, I've ordered a bottom heater from AliExpress. I'll try desoldering the BGA WiFi/Bluetooth chip again when it arrives, and keep you updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back