Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[PIC] Protocol developer process needed to pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahulsiva

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In machine side (slave),output will get a four integer value number,i need to transer four value to PC.In that 100 no. of slave to be connect in one PC & it as send continues update.Give idea to develop a protocol for this interface.

have you selected how the devices will be connected to the PC? e.g. USB, 10baseT WiFi, Canbus, etc?
do you intend to have 100 slaves connected to a PC?

100 machine data as to be send continues towards single PC computer...without CAN bus...any other...

in an industrial machine control and monitoring system with 50 + machines we used 10baseT wired ethernet - well proven cheap reliable technology which ran for many years and is still operational
used a PIC18F97J60 (with onboard 10bastT interface) - these days we would use a PIC24 or PIC32
protocol used was UDP talking to a server written in VB.NET

Nothing said about data rate and distance, but I would check serial MODBUS over RS485.

It's an existing protocol, just use it.

RS485 would handle the data rate etc but I seem to remember that it has a limit of 32 devices and you indicated up to 100 slaves?
you can get USB/RS485 interfaces for a PC, e.g.
https://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBRS485.htm
what interfaces to collect information do the slave devices require? digital IO, ADCs, ???

32 bus devices is the RS485 standard. Some transceivers support 128 and more.

But operating multiple MODBUS master interfaces on the PC and multiple smaller bus segments is another option, also allowing to speed up to the data transmission if neccessary.

9600 data rate and distance will 80-100 meter ranges
No problem with MODBUS and RS485

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back