Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Protel DXP vs Protel 99se

Status
Not open for further replies.

ansandq

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Protel DXP or Protel 99 se easy to use ?

I think 99SE is more similar to Protel98
and easy to use.
DXP's interface has changed a lot ,it is puzzled when first use.

protel99se is easier and is more a copleted software that DXP. DXP has some bugs still to be fixed

Some answer up it tell Protel99ss better than DXP. OK i will try use Protel99se

Regards

Hi

D*X*P is more powerful editing tools and features !!!
I choose D*X*P

For D-X-P users,

Is there a method to autoroute a pcb into a Bottom layer with a top layer jumpers (i.e., Tracks on top layer are only straight lines with no angles, so they can be assembeled as wires) ?

This is completely inpossible in 9-9-s-e version.

Thanks in advance.

Yours,

No - there are no autorouters that will leave parallel jumper paths on the top layer for a single layer route.

Protel99SE and DXP will do single layer routing by setting the top (or bottom) layer to unused. However, there isn't any way to instruct a router to leave parallel jumpers on the unused layer.

The autorouter can be setup to route on one particular layer by defining a Routing Layer design rule with unused layers set to 'Not Used' and the routing layer set to 'Any' (or other suitable routing direction).

For example, to assign the bottom layer as the routing layer, use the following setup.
Top - Not Used
Bottom - Any
(By default a PCB will have Top and Bottom layers and this is why you need to set the Top layer to not used to avoid routing on that layer).

Impossible routes will be left for you to finish up manually by using jumpers - but they won't be parallel unless you manually make them that way.

I think DXP is easier to use than 99SE.

For NT environment (Win2000/WinXp), Dxp is better. Basically Protel98/99/99Se are designed for Win95/98, if you install for NT system, then you need to change a lot of security setting for regular user to use without error. Also, all the users share the same setting files, it could be headache when some user changes program settings. Protel Dxp improves on this point. Under NT system, all the settings are put under individual user's profile folder, and that user has full control to these setting files. Hence there is no need for administrator to change system security settings and there is no conflict on the program prefernce settings among different users.

MCMC said:
Hi

I choose D*X*P

Yes, DXP is more user friendly.

Hi,

The only thing that i see like a advantage, is because in DXP components in schematic have already a footprint associated

NeuralC

DXP is more powerful tools but 99SE it easy

I think it is better.

MCMC said:
Hi

I choose D*X*P
99se makes the files so huge that you need more
space of storing them. Just a simple PCB will end up to over 50megs.

Hi knight,

but you can compress the files (checkbox)...

To DXP or not to DXP, this is a complex question.

P99SE is a pretty stable product and you will only have an issue with large files sizes if you use the Access database file storage method and do not regularly compact the database.

If you use the windows file system method a single .ddb file is created and it is only usually a 1-2k file size overhead to the project.

As for DXP, well P99SE was what was created after the lemon known as P99. A lot of people do not realise that P99 and P99SE were actually quite different major releases.

DXP when released was in a WORSE state than P99 was so it is a bigger lemon. :p

DXP has great potenential but new users looking at DXP should be WELL WARNED to join the DXP user groups and forums and judge its suitability for themselves by browsing the archives. You can still trash a netlist even with sp3pr2, have a board trashed due to DRC bugs especially in power planes, and common jobs that take <10 secs in 99SE take 10x that in DXP so productivity goes down for the majority of simple everyday functions.

Fully funcytional, time restricted demos are downloadable for 99SE and DXP directly from the Protel web site, if you want a fair comparison then make a very simple circuit on paper as a test project, try to build it in 99SE making note of time and design process then do exactly the same excercise in DXP.

Really strange that Altium STILL sell and ACTIVELY promote/market P99SE sales as well as DXP at the same time. If DXP was all things to all people they would have dropped promoting and marketing 99SE as soon as DXP was on the shelfs.

Orcad capture might be a clumsy tool but it gets the job done and has done so for many years.

So best answer, as you can get access to both softwares for test directly for yourself.

Good luck to all

The DXP is more powerful , and use it easy , but need the computer high performance , it not make any *.ddn files , the output file is small. But Protel 99se can't do this.

The DXP is more powerful , and use it easy , but need the computer high performance , it not make any *.ddn files , the output file is small. But Protel 99se can't do this.

dxp is better than se.

Both are crap (o;

Seems they spended more effort in writing some fancy features like 3D views and the like...
though interface looks nice...but in the end...you want to have your job done (o;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back