Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Protel DXP or Protel 99SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgajo

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
what is better DXP or 99SE in real world not in papers?

Thanks

Well according to protel there's lots new in protel dxp, but when i upgraded there has been barely any change in the core features at all (apart from the circuit simulation a little).
This document just seems to provide an insight into how the layout of the software as change, and the interface has become more 'user friendly'.

I hesitate to install DXP because of the crazy recommand hardware requirement: 1.4GHz CPU, 64MB Video Card, 512MB System Memory
My computer is too old to meet it. :p

hi,of coruse DXP is better.it can open all format of pcb files of protel family,and better to use,more powerful.
i use protel dxp in my pii 350,128m dram,it works well in most conditions.but only in win2k or winxp.
REGARDS.

I tested DXP on P2/400 and 128MB ram. The general speed was acceptable.
But library searching was terrible.

pool_77

I’m using P*otel DXP on 400MHz Celeron with 400MB RAM and I810 chipset /video/ and it works well enough. I think DXP is more _friendly_ than 99SE, but it is resource hungry as well.

best regards

pro 99 vs D*P

I think Pro 99 SE is bugless than Pro D*P. However I don't have sp2 so I can have only a partial vision of the product.
For small boards Pro 99 is better, for me.

Lollo

DXP

I can see both footprint and schematic at same time while designing
schematic with DXP. It's nice but my trial period is about to finish. :-(

I have tested autorouter from Protel99SE and DXP. For same board, the autorouter from DXP need more time and can not route all connection. ;-)))

Gomez

I have used both of them and like DXP much better
The interface has changed for the first time really positively and it seems faster and more stable. I am running it on a P4 2.4 GHZ

Tronoty

protel 99se is better in my computer.

DXP is a bag of loose bolts. It has some new features hacked in to what is essentially a 99SE shell with some nice graphics. The integrated libraries are good.

But the workflow that has to be followed to get this bloated beast to work will add 25% at least to your design time compared to 99SE. :( :(

The autorouters in both are useless, buggy, resource hungry and do not follow rules properly [or worse completely ignore them]

DXP does have the potential to be a great front end if they ever fix it properly, but at the moment they seem to want to distract user focus to new features to cover up the fact that it has more bugs than 99se, slower, harder to work in and in some cases LESS feature (like good netlisters)

99SE has its own set of bugs, never been fixed, never will be since DXP released.

Why you think they still want to sell you 99SE product with 'free?' DXP upgrade when you are ready! See **broken link removed** for details of offer

R

So what IS the ideal environment for design then ? I use 99SE right now, and while it has warts and all, I think it's the nicest one so far.

Haven't tried CADSt@R yet, but I hear pretty good things about it. PowerPCB has that incredible library set from pcbstandard.com, but the interface is too Win3.1/Win95. OrCAD - ehhhhh.

What are you using, and why is it better than the others ? <loaded question, I know :>

shure is 99se.dxp looks more :x whent is about hardware specification.

Last is best!

DXP is wonderful.

I'll say, if you got used to the old version and never touch those new features coming with new version, and the new version will take you a long time to learn how to use, then for your ordinary work ( not for study purpose ), possible the old version is enough, and it saves your time to do the work because you are familiar with it.

Most of us have such experience that, the best tool for us is the one we used all the time and knew quite well about it, thus we can handle it freely. Right?

P*rotel D/X/P

Anyone have DXP with SP@ C*R*A*C**K?

Re: P*rotel D/X/P

Thiago said:
Anyone have DXP with SP@ C*R*A*C**K?
:p
James enforces general forum rules here:
**broken link removed**

Besides, this is Altium product, the cracks and and SN for Altium is forbidden here.

If someone posts cracks or SN here, he will get warning even banned.

We play the game, we follow the rules.

However, it is said currently Altium provides a pretty good discount to educational users, $100 per license seat ( minimum 20 seats purchase needed), and this is lifetime license(no annual renewing needed). It is a good deal because the original price is $7999 per seat. So if you are in some school and you really need it for your research, ask your boss to buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back