Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Protect circuit from Overcharged Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

milesguidon

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a device with ICs in it that are rated to 3.6V or 3.7V for normal use, and I am powering it with a 3.7V (nominal voltage) Li-Ion battery.

The battery fully charges to ~4.2V. Powering a circuit with this fully charged Li-Ion battery means I will have overvoltage conditions after charging, until the battery is drained lower than ~3.7V.

What is the simplest way to limit the battery voltage to 3.7V or below? Zener diode (how?) ?

Thanks!

What about an LDO voltage regulator?
Something like LP2985IM5-3.6.
That would keep the voltage at 3.6V from as little as 3.8V.

What about an LDO voltage regulator?
Something like LP2985IM5-3.6.
That would keep the voltage at 3.6V from as little as 3.8V.

Thanks for the reply!

Wouldn't this have odd behavior at input voltages *lower* than the specified output voltage? For example, the circuit works just fine when Vcc = 3.0V. How would a 3.6V LDO fare when Vin = 3.0V? I'm concerned about using LDOs because I need to use the battery all throughout its discharge from "fully charged" to ~2.8V

Last edited:

The LDO is fair idea, but it will waste a lot of battery capacity. That said, do the IC's stop functioning properly when the cell voltage goes below 3.6V? If so, that itself is wasting a lot of the cell's capacity. It still has a lot of energy left to give at that point.

Perhaps a low power buck/boost switching regulator would be a better idea? That might get you more run time as well as regulating the voltage to 3.6V.

Edit: I was typing this before you posted your reply (I was multitasking - I don't type that slowly). Looks like you answered my question.

- - - Updated - - -

In that case, a simple switching regulator might work. I think some will just stop switching when the input voltage drops below the set output and pass the input straight through. In fact, you could just regulate to 3.0V anyway.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back