Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Proper use of capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaph1

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In order to smooth the voltage coming out of this, it is recommended to use a capacitor 200v 1000uf or larger. I have two 200v 680uf. My ability to read schematics is limited, but it seems that the capacitors are in parallel to the circuit. Shouldn't they be in series? Also, does the momentary switch on the resistor allow it to drain the capacitors after the unit is powered off?

AnodizerSchematic.gif

the caps should in parallel only .
teh two 680uf in parallel will give you
1360uf(at 200v rating).

yes the momentary switch is to discharge it.

srizbf
9thjune2010

Let me be more specific. Yes, I know the two 680uf caps are in parallel. I have them in parallel with a set of leads coming out. Do I hook those leads in parallel to the outputs of the rectifier? I just don't want this to blow up on me so I want to be certain before I do it.

Mind you, this is my first project where I have used capacitors in the design.

will not blowup the caps.

keep the auto at zero voltage position at startup.
slowly raise the voltage, monitoring with a voltmeter on its o/p side.

at around the rated voltage you will get the reqd output.

***see that caps polarity is connected properly.
probably this is what you are referring as the caps blowing.
as wrong polarity in electrolytic caps will explode at that voltage levels!

srizbf
9thjune2010

So, hooked in parallel is the proper installation. I'll try it and see how long it takes to drain the caps using theresistor.

Added after 2 hours 12 minutes:

Well, nothing blew up! Nothing turned red-hot! Nothing even got warm!

I installed a switch for the resistor and the voltage would go up, but wouldn't come back down until I activated the resistor. If I leave the resistor on, will it be a problem and overheat? Will it discharge the capacitor too quickly and negate the smoothing from the capacitor?

It's a 100w 100ohm resistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.