Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Project to replace CY7C64613 in the ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you should build a PG1 Dongle Programmer from olimex (h**p://www.olimex.com/dev/pic-pg1.html). It works fine on some PCs, and in some other PCs , it doesn't work.

Added after 5 minutes:

bungee- said:
I'm following this topic for some time now (just reading). I made the ICD2 clone from PICS design. I have problems with usb part of the board. It is very unstable, if I try to touch the circuit with my hand the usb led starts to blink. Board was triple checked, measured all the pins were re-soldered. I successfully downloaded OS once, but everything is unstable. Any idea?

Yes, I have problem like yours, Bungee! sometimes PC detects ICD2 USB, sometimes it not know what connect to. And, I really don't know why, my PC's devices have "Microchip tool" but MPLAB IDE says: "Open port error".
Yes, this ICD2 USB (if use BJT), is unstable, at least with my computer.

medvonok said:
What programer (soft and hardware) used for bootloader (4550 and 877A) ?
With icprog i`cant doit. What else ?

Use Winpic with JDM, large list of supported PICs, even option to make it work with new ones by editing ini file

Added after 4 minutes:

wonbinbk said:
Yes, I have problem like yours, Bungee! sometimes PC detects ICD2 USB, sometimes it not know what connect to. And, I really don't know why, my PC's devices have "Microchip tool" but MPLAB IDE says: "Open port error".
Yes, this ICD2 USB (if use BJT), is unstable, at least with my computer.

Waiting a moment before pluging in helps. About 10-20 seconds

Thanks for all : potyo, szlovak, Int Art. I will make one model. After that, i will try to do ICD2.

i have not tested it debugging yet but i have succesfully program 16f627a, 16f628,16f88, 16f876a

it is based in PICS schematic with minor diferences, i change one resistor in vpp generator circuit
and it use separated oscillators.

besides i used the firmware found here:

**broken link removed**

because the one in PICS attachment, everytime it downloaded 16F ICD operating system windows did not detected the icd2 any more, be aware i uncheck WTRB in config word.

attached eagle files and .pdf

Hi, up there guys !
First of all, I want to say THANKS A LOT, second I NEED YOUR HELP ! :)
I built the circuit found up here. (ICD2 with 18F4550). I preinstall MC. ICD2 USB driver. (It don't say that this driver is not signed...) After I connect my clone, but nothing happen. Why ? (16F877 is ok, tested via USART) The USB LED is light but nothing else happed. Somebody please write down how to start this clone step by step. Thanks for all ur trouble. And just go on makeing projects like this.

I now had a little step to solve my problem, I think, now it says windows can't recognize the usb device... some idea ?

mspike said:
Hi, up there guys !
First of all, I want to say THANKS A LOT, second I NEED YOUR HELP ! :)
I built the circuit found up here. (ICD2 with 18F4550). I preinstall MC. ICD2 USB driver. (It don't say that this driver is not signed...) After I connect my clone, but nothing happen. Why ? (16F877 is ok, tested via USART) The USB LED is light but nothing else happed. Somebody please write down how to start this clone step by step. Thanks for all ur trouble. And just go on makeing projects like this.

I now had a little step to solve my problem, I think, now it says windows can't recognize the usb device... some idea ?

try with this firmware
h**p://users.dod.sch.gr/nichrist/icd2_usb.htm
uncheck WTRB in config

select mplab icd2 in debugger >> select tool
then debugger >> download icd2 operating system

Finally it works now, so preatty coool ! I moded this circuit to can be connected to my old serial version. Thanks for u ! Ur work is so magical ! Now I have an USB ICD2 clone ! (It's my child dream :) ) If I ready with my circuit diagramm I will put it up here, not so "elegant" like the version up here, but still work... :) Once again THANK U ! (my problem was bad windows driver and mixd up D+ and D- ,how luser I am :p)

szlovak said:

I don't understand your idea. What you mean? Is it "first plug in USB, wait 10-20secs, then open MPLAB (or enable ICD2 as Programmer)" ?

wonbinbk said:
szlovak said:
I don't understand your idea. What you mean? Is it "first plug in USB, wait 10-20secs, then open MPLAB (or enable ICD2 as Programmer)" ?
No. When you disconnect(physically) and immediately reconnect ICD2, then windows can't recognize it. Before reconnecting wait 10-20secs. Once you have connected, and windows has detected ICD2, you must not wait anymore.

wonbinbk - Remember.... Windoze, as in asleep all the time, is the poor excuse of an operating system MChip uses for MPLab

The windows USB drivers have problems letting go of some devices when you unplug them (maxtor external hdd in my case). You can try and stop the device (little green hardware icon on the bottom right of the screen for those of you that don't know yet) before disconnecting it, but it can take far longer to do this than simply unpluging the ICD2 and wait 10 secs or so, and even then windows reports that the device cannot be released.

Usually the OS reports the removal with that dang annoying "BOINK" sound. Be careful whn unplugging other media (flash drives and hdd's) as you can corrupt the data since the OS stores some of locally it in to improve performance.

Hi potyo,
What are the configuration settings of 12f683 vpp generator?
I’ve build one but it seems like I have a mistake. With 16f877a as selected device I get only about 7.75V vpp, measured by multimeter and mplab. I will check tomorrow with scope to see what's going wrong.

best regards,
stroma

Hi Stroma
I've used these config settings:
Oscillator EC
Watchdog Timer Off
Power Up Timer On
MCLR Enable Internal
Code Protect Off
Data EE Read Pr. Off
Brown Out Detect BOD Enabled, SBOREN Disabled
Int. Ext. Sw. O. M. Disabled
Monitor Clock Fail Safe Disabled
Config Value is 33C3

Here is my latest experimental asm file, with three method to adjust the PWM duty cycle. But i've discontinued the experiments with 12F683, because sometimes the output voltage was wrong, and sometimes the stability was not good(i don't know why).

Hi up, again ! I used my new clone for a day, and had some error again... sometimes it hangs up, and I have to close MPLAB, and reconnect ICD2, after works fine... and an other (my bigger problem) is OS downloading.... I get the next message:

Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
...Connected
ICDWarn0030: MPLAB ICD2 is about to download a new operating system. If MPLAB IDE is just starting, it will appear to "hang" at the splash screen. Please be patient. MPLAB IDE will finish it's intialization after the OS is downloaded. (Note: You may wish to select to ignore this warning in the future.)
Downloading Operating System
ICD0042: API: Error response (Command Failed (0x07))
...Download Operating System Failed
ICD0029: Connected tool is not an MPLAB ICD 2: Product ID = 0x0 (MPLAB ICD (1))
ICD0082: Failed MPLAB ICD 2 operation
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

What can it be ? (I think it can't download USB OS too, but I solved this by programming 18F4550 with the newest HEX you made.) Thanks a lot, and thanks all ur trouble.

thanks potyo,
sorry to hear that you abandon 12f683 experiments.

best regards
stroma

potyo said:
wonbinbk said:
szlovak said:
No. When you disconnect(physically) and immediately reconnect ICD2, then windows can't recognize it. Before reconnecting wait 10-20secs. Once you have connected, and windows has detected ICD2, you must not wait anymore.

Oh, Thank Potyo very much. Ok, I will try this.

Added after 6 minutes:

Chamera said:
wonbinbk - Remember.... Windoze, as in asleep all the time, is the poor excuse of an operating system MChip uses for MPLab.
The windows USB drivers have problems letting go of some devices when you unplug them (maxtor external hdd in my case). You can try and stop the device (little green hardware icon on the bottom right of the screen for those of you that don't know yet) before disconnecting it, but it can take far longer to do this than simply unpluging the ICD2 and wait 10 secs or so, and even then windows reports that the device cannot be released.

Hehe, I really did not take any idea on this thing. I really don't know it. Thanks.
Chamera said:
Usually the OS reports the removal with that dang annoying "BOINK" sound. Be careful whn unplugging other media (flash drives and hdd's) as you can corrupt the data since the OS stores some of locally it in to improve performance.

Yeah, I know it, but the problem of the circuit is not just that.

Added after 4 minutes:

mspike said:
Hi up, again ! I used my new clone for a day, and had some error again... sometimes it hangs up, and I have to close MPLAB, and reconnect ICD2, after works fine... and an other (my bigger problem) is OS downloading.... I get the next message:

...Connected
ICDWarn0030: MPLAB ICD2 is about to download a new operating system. If MPLAB IDE is just starting, it will appear to "hang" at the splash screen. Please be patient. MPLAB IDE will finish it's intialization after the OS is downloaded. (Note: You may wish to select to ignore this warning in the future.)
Downloading Operating System
ICD0042: API: Error response (Command Failed (0x07))
...Download Operating System Failed
ICD0029: Connected tool is not an MPLAB ICD 2: Product ID = 0x0 (MPLAB ICD (1))
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

What can it be ? (I think it can't download USB OS too, but I solved this by programming 18F4550 with the newest HEX you made.) Thanks a lot, and thanks all ur trouble.
You're not alone, Mspike, not alone. I'm with you, hehe. I have the problem like this sometimes. Then I re-plug PIC18F877A, it works, but unstable. Any Idea to solve this will be thanked verymuch!

wonbinbk said:
You're not alone, Mspike, not alone. I'm with you, hehe. I have the problem like this sometimes. Then I re-plug PIC18F877A, it works, but unstable. Any Idea to solve this will be thanked verymuch!
Carefully check the connections between two pics, search for short connections and breaks. I have today assembled my second icd2, and it works after eliminating 3 short connections and one break.

potyo said:
wonbinbk said:
Carefully check the connections between two pics, search for short connections and breaks. I have today assembled my second icd2, and it works after eliminating 3 short connections and one break.
I'm having the same problem. Potyo and others give to me some tips to meke it works, but I can't.
I changed the board, changed the firmwares, changed the processors... and nothing happens.
I'm lost what I need to do...
The most interesting is that for some people the ICD works.... How is it possible? The same schematics, the same boards, the same firmwares... and only few works?
I think we can make a poll with the people that made their own ICDs to decide what is the more stable version.
Cheers
Rodolfo.

caproni said:
The most interesting is that for some people the ICD works.... How is it possible? The same schematics, the same boards, the same firmwares... and only few works?
I think we can make a poll with the people that made their own ICDs to decide what is the more stable version.
Cheers
Rodolfo.

Hi,

I built the PICS's ICD2 (MCLR Disabled), but i have some problems.
It's recognize by windows:
**broken link removed**

but not by Mplab:
ICD0021: Unable to connect with MPLAB ICD 2
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

I test my board and:
-VPP=12,6V
-I replace the 20KΩ resistances (R20-R21-R22-R24) by 22KΩ
-L1 is a strap and L2=100µH
-RA3 (on the 877A)=3,09V
-and my quartz=20,255MHZ (is it OK, i don't have other quartz)

I have the real ICD2, and it work but after connected PICs's ICD2 Mplab didn't recognize it. My tests:

1. install Mplab IDE 7.30
2. connect ICD2 OK
3. connect pics's board impossible
4. reconnect ICD2 impossible
5. uninstall Mplab IDE 7.30

6. install Mplab IDE 7.31
7. connect ICD2 OK
8. connect pics's board impossible
9. reconnect ICD2 impossible
10. uninstall Mplab IDE 7.31

11. install Mplab IDE 7.30
12. connect pics's board impossible
13. connect ICD2 impossible
14. uninstall Mplab IDE 7.30

15. install Mplab IDE 7.31
16. connect pics's board impossible
17. connect ICD2 impossible
18. uninstall Mplab IDE 7.31

I will make the Andy_123's ICD2 maybe the next week, and maybe i'll make a new schematic of pics's board to replace the MC34063 system b a DC-DC converter.

[/img]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back