Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Project to build a PICmicro programmer/duplicator - PICMATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravimarcus

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
picmicro 18f2550

Hi Everyone,

There are many PICmicro programmer designs but 99% of them need a PC. Why don't we all join together and build a PICmicro ZIP socketed & ICS programmer / duplicator ?

Resources needed

PC software to download the HEX code (with fuse information)
PICmicro software for programming and duplicating
Programmer hardware to support the software

There are many of you who can write PC based and PICmicro s/w. Once this projet takes shape, it will be a great help to many PICmicro users.

Since this will be an on going project, members request for device support can first be addressed and then the rest of the PICmicro can be supported. This programmer will be something like PROMATE.

Initially basic and popular device support will be for the following PICmicro.

10F2xx
12F508
16F505
16F72
16F84A
16F628A
16F819
16F87xA
18F242
18F252
and so on.

I can design the initial schematic and upload for discussion and modifications. Once the schematic is frozen, then the s/w part (PC and PICmicro) can start off. The PC s/w is optional but an advantage).

Specifications of the programmer/duplicator.

1. LCD 2 x 16 (device selection, etc)
2. RS232 serial (to download the HEX file)
3. 4 keys (read/program/duplicate, etc)
4. 40 pins ZIF socket (8 to 40 pins support)
5. ICSP connector (ICS programming)
6. Variable VPP (16F and 18F devices)
7. SEEPROM (for local storing ... stand alone)

The design will be done with commonly available parts so that anyone can build it.

If there are people who can support it, I will start the project by making the schematic and PCB.

If we can hit it off, it will be agreat help to PICmicro users. What do you all have to say ?

Cheers

Ravi

picmicro project

Ravi,
It sounds like a worthwhile project, and if it 'goes,' I wouldn't mind being part of it. Keep me posted,
Robert

possible start with the pocket job from the thread Stand alone PIC Programmer?

picmate

Hi
I am also interested on this project

I saw this forum today !!

pic duplicator

very interesting project . you have the diagram for this project.

standalone pic duplicator programmer

The schematic is only priliminary for you all to get an idea. I will be finalising the schematic in a day and upload it. Charge pump section will be modified. Varaible VPP voltage generation will be added.

The main controller will be 18F4520 or any other in the same catagory for the following reasons.

1. Internal oscillator, so no external crystal required.
2. Easy coding in "assembly" / C

Robert - Yes, we can start from Tony Nixon's POCKET but the code has to be modified to 18F series.

Cheers

Ravi

picmicro programmer

Hai

One more request.

Why cant We try to design a programmer which is standlaone like you have proposed now, at the same time it should have a USB interface PIC (18Series) so that we can use it as a USB based programmer also.

Please plan to provide a ICSP connector and fesility So that project deveopment will be easy for a student.

LAPTOPS nowadays have no Serial port and FT232BM is costly also. So A firmware in PIC18with USB is a asset for anybody.

I am interested in this ,but the coding of 18Series in assembly ... Is it a good choice?(They say it is meant mainly for C!).

With regards
picstudent

picmicro 18f4550

ravimarcus said:
Hi Everyone,

There are many PICmicro programmer designs but 99% of them need a PC. Why don't we all join together and build a PICmicro ZIP socketed & ICS programmer / duplicator ?

Cheers

Ravi

hi Friends,

Actually Tony Nixons Stand alone Pocket Programmer will Do what we need. why we need to make another one? is it the same config ravi mentioned?

picmicro rs232 lcd

from ravimarcus schematic. i think can replace 18F2420 by 18F2550 for port to USB interface in the future.

how to use zip connector with picmicro

Creative - The device support of the pocket is limited and also closed. I am proposing a field upgradable on (something like PROMATE).

Nooknikz - I have finalised the schematic and uploaded it now for comments and feedback. As per your feed back I will change the design to support USB too along with RS232. Then the device will be 18F4550. If you look at the schematic, there is a need for 40 pins device.

Picstudent -

"I am interested in this ,but the coding of 18Series in assembly ... Is it a good choice?(They say it is meant mainly for C!). "

Coding for the 16F or 18F for this project in assembly is not a good choice. 18F is not mainly ment for C coding, .... it is C friendly. I have done couple of projects on 18F using assembly since I cannot write the code in C. Coding in assembly for 18F is very much more comfortable compared to coding for 16F.

Cheers

Ravi

design your own picmicro programmer

Here's the final schematic with USB interface. Comments and feedback are welcome before proceeding to PCB design.

Cheers

Ravi

eeprom duplicator schematic

ravimarcus said:
Here's the final schematic with USB interface. Comments and feedback are welcome before proceeding to PCB design.

Cheers

Ravi

nice schematic

usual problem people maybe give themselfs
is to forget the series resistor between the bridge rectifier & main resoviour cap
and the input to the regulator
you must use one usual 20 or so ohms
to limit the current or a spike can destroy the regulator
anyway it will run warm if you dont

also i always place a low value like .22 R safety resisitor in series with the regulator output

again this will blow before series damage to a pcb if there is a short

as you use this vcc voltage everywhere
and also it arrives on some output cables its a good idea

also two 100nf one on input one on output pins
to ground
as close to the pins on the pcb as possible

lcd should have a 47uf electrolytic on its vdd rail

appart from this
a very nice circuit

adding

placing some ferrite beeds also is a good idea if your using flying leeds

i place at least two 3mm ones on the input & output pin of the regulator package

if you use smd for the regtulator this isnt practicle
so maybe then use a small value choke

also the addition of a diode to the gnd pin of the regulator
will increase its output by .6v
this is handy for displays and leds etc
as very often some voltage gets lost accross safety devices like series diodes

14 pin pic duplicator

VSMVDD said:
usual problem people maybe give themselfs is to forget the series resistor between the bridge rectifier & main resoviour cap and the input to the regulator you must use one usual 20 or so ohms to limit the current or a spike can destroy the regulator anyway it will run warm if you dont
Added
also i always place a low value like .22 R safety resisitor in series with the regulator output as you use this vcc voltage everywhere and also it arrives on some output cables its a good idea
Here the VCC is directly not available on the connectors, hence I have removed it.
lcd should have a 47uf electrolytic on its vdd rail
Done
placing some ferrite beeds also is a good idea if your using flying leeds i place at least two 3mm ones on the input & output pin of the regulator package. if you use smd for the regtulator this isnt practicle so maybe then use a small value choke
In this application, there is not much of surge currents and spikes. Hence to keep the circuit simple, beeds and inductor has been avoided. Adding beeds and inductor is a good practice, but if the PCB layout useing these components is not good, then the whole idea of using beeds and inductor will be in waste.
also the addition of a diode to the gnd pin of the regulator will increase its output by .6v this is handy for displays and leds etc as very often some voltage gets lost accross safety devices like series diodes
Done
The modified circuit is uploaded.

Cheers

Ravi

Added

12f508 18f4550

Hi ravi
I think this circuit is ok. going to design PCB and start this project.

picmicro standalone icsp programmer

In a day or two, I will start the PCB design and also have the schematic with BOM ready.

Tomorrow I will upload the schematic in OrCAD format. It will help those of you who can use it.

Once the design is ready, I will upload the layout files.

Cheers

Ravi

pic programmer duplicator

Here's the final schematic. Minor corrections were carried out. The VCC connection to the USB connector was removed. RB0 and RB1 connections were exchanged for those who can use the IIC engine.

The schematics are in the following formats.

1. BMP and GIF (enlarged and reduced)
2. OrCAD 4.1 DOS and OrCAD 9.22 windows.

Cheers

Ravi

18f2420 projekt

Is it possible to use USART engine for transfering data from one PIC to another (Programming 16FXX from 16F87XA)
or I have to use bit banging?
I have another doubt abt hex files.

listP=16F676
__config 0x31D4 ;Protection off, PWRTE off, WDT off, XT
org 0x00
movlw 0x00
movlw 0x05
movlw 0x00
movlw 0x05
end

this is a simple program and it's hex file is below.

:020000040000FA
:0800000000300530003005302E
:02400E00D431AB
:00000001FF

Now we can analise the hex file like this

02' stands for the total data bytes in the line
0000' stands for the location of data to be written
04' stands for the type of data
0000' stands for the data
FA' stands for the check sum

Now the third portion(type of data=04) is always 00 in all lines except the end line where it's 01. In some old hex files we can not see this type of first line. I am confused on that 04. what does that mean? any idea? is it represent the starting of data? some dis assamblers can't identify this type of first line. another doubt is how the checksum being calculated?

picmate 2004

creative_35 said:
Is it possible to use USART engine for transfering data from one PIC to another (Programming 16FXX from 16F87XA)
or I have to use bit banging?

Why not ! In the PICmicro that do not have UART engine, bit banging technique is used. As long as RS232 communication occurs using BB or UART, communication can and will occur between PICmicro's.

If you mean programming the code into another chip, then there are two options.

1. PICmicro with self programming like 16F877A can accept data through RS232 and program its own memory.

2. PICmicro without self programming like 16F628A can be programmed from another PICmicro using bit banging technique through RB6 & RB7. The programming protocol has to be followed.

I have another doubt abt hex files.

<snip>

Now the third portion(type of data=04) is always 00 in all lines except the end line where it's 01. In some old hex files we can not see this type of first line. I am confused on that 04. what does that mean? any idea? is it represent the starting of data? some dis assamblers can't identify this type of first line. another doubt is how the checksum being calculated?

These links will provide you the information about the INTEL HEX record format.

04 is extended linear address record

h**tp://www.cs.net/lucid/intel.htm
h**tp://margo.student.utwente.nl/el/misc/intl_hex.htm

Cheers

Ravi

program pic duplicator

Hello Master Ravi, Can you please upload the project with code and whole details please!

stand alone eprom duplicator

hi, i have a question. what do you mean by duplicator? i want to know that if i can access to the hex file of locked ic(pic). thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.