Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programs for IP sniffing in RH Linux

If you are a network administrator, do you spy on the other employees network activity?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

thecat

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
IP sniffing in RH Linux

Hello,

Does anyone know a program with which a sysadmin could read all the IM conversations and everything that is accessed from the network he adiministrates?

I'm not a sysadmin but I want to find out if my sysadmin is doing this. So I need to get familiar with these kind of tools.

Cand anyone give me some advices?

Thanks!

Thera are a lot of tools for it, for example sniff, ... there are a good book talking about it: "linux hacking" but i think that ir realy dificult to know if admin is using some of this tools, the tools only listen and don't say anythink.

Tapa

Tivoli Netview is very powerful program for wins. You can even generate statistics for every employee and even reconstruct credit card payment sessions.

For linux tcpdump is very raw utility, but there are many other sniffers. Some of them can even sniff ssh1 !

ssh2 is unsniffable, as far as i know...

ABEDNEGO

Of course keep in mind that if you are on a switched network you will not see anything but yourself and people talking to you. You sysadmin can of course mirror other users network ports to his own if he has access to the switches. Ahhh encryption..... the only way to sort out curious sysadmins!

What are the legal issues involved with spying on employees, is it a legal practice?

Status
Not open for further replies.