Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

programming pic18f4550 using JDM programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahul7456

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am working on PIC18F4550 and i am a beginner. I have bought a JDM programmer (**broken link removed**) Its an Serial Port ICSP Programmer. I tried PICPGM to connect but its not detecting. It detects JDM programmer but fails to detect PIC.
Please help me for this.
Also tell me how and where to connect PGM pin. Unable to get it.
Waiting for help.

Thank You,
Rahul

You use desktop PC or laptop with usb to rs232 convertor ?

You didnt have to buy this, if goal is to just programm PIC18F4550 uC.

You can use simple LPT FD-art2003 programmer :

programmateur pic.jpg

Software is WinPIC800.

With this small programmer you can program PIC18F2550 for PICKit2 Clone and have nice PIC programmer.

Last edited:

Thank you for replying.
I am using desktop as it has direct serial port and I have read somewhere that USB to RS232 converter wont work with serial JDM programmer.
And I dint understand your statement "With this small programmer you can program PIC18F2550 for PICKit2 Clone and have nice PIC programmer." Please explain.

---------- Post added at 09:42 ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 ----------

I am using following circuit as JDM programmer "http://www.bravekit.com/document/PIC_JDM/PIC_JDM_schem.pdf" But its not working. Everywhere same circuit is shown still it doesnt work.
Also please help me wiring the PGM pin.

"With this small programmer you can program PIC18F2550 for PICKit2 Clone and have nice PIC programmer." Please explain.

You can program firmware to PIC18F2550 uC, its heart of PICKit2 Clone programmer, after that you can program lots of uC from Microchip families of microcontrollers. See list here : **broken link removed**

Did You contact seller from which You buy programmer ?

Hello tpetar,

As sugested by you I made the circuit that you gave and also googled it. I found that serial port are not reliable and so dumped it. I used the link for guidance to program my pic18f4550 (**broken link removed**) But still facing the same problem thats pic is not detected.
Please help what should I do now.
Waiting for help.

Thank You
Rahul

Hello tpetar,

As sugested by you I made the circuit that you gave and also googled it. I found that serial port are not reliable and so dumped it. I used the link for guidance to program my pic18f4550 (**broken link removed**) But still facing the same problem thats pic is not detected.
Please help what should I do now.
Waiting for help.

How do you mean not reliable and what serial port ? 8-O Circuit is LPT port! In document there is no statement about that port is reliable or not.
You made it and did you try it ?
Pic not detected where?

In your post #3 you say:
I am using desktop as it has direct serial port and I have read somewhere that USB to RS232 converter wont work with serial JDM programmer.
Yes its true for JDM, but I dont understand why you mention rs232 ?

You probably mix RS232 25-pin with LPT port which is also 25-pin. If you have 25-pin your desktop pc must be very old, today 9-pin is in use.

Last edited:

Also tell me how and where to connect PGM pin. Unable to get it.

The PGM pin is utilized for Low Voltage Programming (LVP), while most ICSP programmers are High Voltage Programming (HVP).

However, there have been reports of some ICSP programmers, particularly clones, having issues if the PGM pin is left floating, therefore tie it to ground while using the ICSP programmer.

BigDog

Man, as I first posted that I am using serial port, I said that later now I found that it is not reliable.
And i know that the circuit you gave is of LPT port.
The document I showed is not to show you that it is not reliable. I found it on google in which they used parallel port circuit and this document was uploaded showing the configuration in Winpic800. I followed that but it dint work.
And pic not detected means, in winpic800 the software is not able to detect pic18f4550.
Forget the JDM programmer or the serial port. Just guide me how to program pic using the parallel port circuit you shown with winpic800.

Man, as I first posted that I am using serial port, I said that later now I found that it is not reliable.
And i know that the circuit you gave is of LPT port.
The document I showed is not to show you that it is not reliable. I found it on google in which they used parallel port circuit and this document was uploaded showing the configuration in Winpic800. I followed that but it dint work.
And pic not detected means, in winpic800 the software is not able to detect pic18f4550.
Forget the JDM programmer or the serial port. Just guide me how to program pic using the parallel port circuit you shown with winpic800.

WinPIC800 Ver 3.59 works with PIC18F4550. In upper right corner of software windows you have to choose PIC18F and just below field 18F4550.

hello tpetar

i downloaded winpic800 3.59. selected pic18f and in that 18f4550. Changed harware settings to art2003 and port to LPT1. loaded a hex file. then read all, verify all, and program all but got the following errors. I am uploading screenshots and hex file.
Please guide.

Attachments

• PIC-USB-4550-BLINKING_LED.zip
    45.2 KB · Views: 72

Tell me on Settings what options you have marked (what check box is activated) ?

Buy PICKit2 Clone its not expensive, and support ISP. You can program SMD parts direct on PCB over ISP programming connector. PICKit2 have good list of supported devices for programming. Always you can build your cheap DIY.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.