Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programming OLD Xilinx XC9572 5V CPLDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

farhada

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I bought a bunch of CPLDs from E-bay some times ago and to my surprise, ISE did not recognize them and when I used iMPACT to program the device, I could see the CPLD in the JTAG chain but when I tried to erase the device it gave me an error message:
Code:
Attempting to identify devices in the boundary-scan chain configuration...// *** BATCH CMD : Identify 
PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation.
Identifying chain contents ....'1': : Manufacturer's ID =Xilinx xc9572_unsupported, Version : 0
INFO:iMPACT:1777 - 
Reading C:/Xilinx/10.1/ISE/xc9500/data/xc9572_unsupported.bsd...
INFO:iMPACT:501 - '1': Added Device xc9572_unsupported successfully.
done.
PROGRESS_END - End Operation.
Elapsed time =      4 sec.
// *** BATCH CMD : identifyMPM 
// *** BATCH CMD : Erase -p 1 
INFO:iMPACT:583 - '1': The idcode read from the device does not match the idcode in the bsdl File.
INFO:iMPACT:1578 - '1':  Device IDCODE : [B]       00001001010100000100000010010011[/B]
INFO:iMPACT:1579 - '1': Expected IDCODE:    [B]00101001010100000100000010010011[/B]
'1': Check to make sure if version '[B]0000[/B]' is supported.
PROGRESS_END - End Operation.
Elapsed time =      0 sec.
PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation

So it seems like none of the rev '0000' type CPLDs are supported by any version of modern version of ISE.

After some search, I found that Xilinx has ISE web pack 3.1i available to download and that one supports programming of old 5V CPLDs.

You can fin the SW and all other very old version of the program at:

https://www.xilinx.com/direct/webpack/33wp81/webpack_9500_prog.exe

The only problem is that it does not support Platform USB cable.

I would like to know if you know of any other JTAG programmer that supports these old CPLDs and a USB cable?

Thanks in advance for your help.

/Farhad

Hello farhada,

I beleive that Impact and ISE are not correlated when it comes to simply flashing your device... stick with the same Impact version you have, and the USB Platform II or III cable, but lower the transfer speed of the JTAG chain (go into "Output" -> "cable setup" in impact, and lower the speed to 750khz or 1.5Mhz...)...
Also, test the integrity of you JTAG chain to make sure the TDI/TDO pins are cabled correctly...

otherwise, there are Parallel cables from Xilinx (Parallel IV or something).

Hi,
I am afraid that is not the case for old CPLDs, these are not supported by Xilinx anymore. They recommend using Jtagpgrmr which I can not find anywhere.

have you looked at this thread "thread50521.html" in this website ? it's called "Thread: Need JTAG Cable Schematic for XC9572XL"

maybe helpfull...

Yes, I have, but the problem is I do not have a parallel port on my PC. I only have USB!

1. change to directory ...ISE/xc9500/data

2. open file xc9572.bsd

3. change the id code section to :

attribute IDCODE_REGISTER of XC9572 : entity is
"XXXX" & -- version
"1001010100000100" & -- part number
"00001001001" & -- manufacturer's id
"1";

4. reassign your target file in impact.

5. do the id check

XC9500 is still in production and can be used with any ISE version up to 12 (the latest), i am using these chips frequently (XC9536 and XC9772xl).
According to www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx12_1/irn.pdf ISE 12 supports all 9500 except from XC9500xv.
I had a similar problem like yours with a self made xilinx cable III (parallel), the fault was actually that i was using long jtag cable.
There is always a chance that these chips may be fake but i believe that you are having a similar problem.
Do you get the same IDCODE every time or does it change, if it is due to connection error it will not be always the same.

Alex

The strange fact is that, however the ID code seems wrong in the upper 4 bits of 32. So there seems no electrical problem like frequency or signal termination. After changing these upper 4 bits in the BSDL file to X (don't care) the chain integrity check passes without any errors.
However erasing or programming the device does still not work.
Perhaps exporting the jedec file to SVF and executing the SVF instead should work. Does anyone have a positive result ?

Thanks a lot, this is great, I have over 100 of these, if it works, it saves me a lot :)

let me know if there are any questions or strange effects. So I can improve the document. So far I tested the procedure with only one device.
cheers,
Mario

Hi Mario,
I will do so whenever I have time, but if you want, I can send you a couple of them I have at home if you send me your address

Best regards,
Farhad

Hi Farhad,

oh, sorry I won't have that time to check your devices. The procedure works very stable on one IC so it will do so on your devices.

best regards, Mario

hello, can anyone help me with programm XC9572XL with GQ-4X??? I dont have software for this XC, i ned to read first and write it in a new one.
thank you.

Hello ...

I can't program CPLD (xc9572-44pin) finally.
I can get id code by Mario Blunk said. but can't erase & program!
In menus i have only .jed , or only .SVF , I can't see them in one menu together , but according to PDF he can !
I use ISE 11.1 , before that i test ISE 7 too , but => fail

please help ...
Tanx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back