Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programming Flash in Microcontroller through UART

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandesh564_123

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
my requirement is that i need to be able to write 8051 microcontroller's Flash memory using RS232 port. Can anyone help me in finding out the right schematic for that...

In the first place you would need a 8051 variant that supports flash self-programming respectively has a built-in bootloader. Some types possibly need a pin to be asserted to activate the bootloader. The obvious suggestion is: Refer to the manufacturer application notes.

If you have questions related to a specific microcontroller with flash bootloader, you should tell about the type.

I am quite new to micro controllers...i need a micro controller which has SPI communication port and the microcontroller flash should be programable through RS232 port...

P89c51rd2 may fill your requirement

i was planing to go for PIC18F13K50-I/SS...for which we can get the programmer with less cost..but i am not able to find the application note for how to provide provision for in circuit programming

but i am not able to find the application note for how to provide provision for in circuit programming.
I understand, that you are referring to an UART bootloader, not regular ISP. Microchip has no built-in hardware bootloader, the functionality has to be provided in your code respectively a separate bootloader application. Most compiler vendors have bootloader examples, also Microchip has tme read for download. The only hardware provision is a regular UART interface and possibly a switch or jumper, that starts the bootloader unconditionally after a processor reset.

OK..i just found out that there is something called as PICkit 2 programmer...which we can use to burn code in flash of micro controller of microchip...

Just for ur info PIC18F13K50 is not based on 8051 architecture!!!!

I am totally getting confused....my application requires a microcotroller which one SPI communication pins(these pins should not be used for programing the Flash of mcontroller)...flash size is around say 16Kb is enough...and i need to be able to do program the flash using serial communication port..or through a device which we can connect it to USB port keeping the mcontroller in the circuit itself..and the whole system should cost say below 40-50 $

does this application has something to do with the architecture of the mcontroller..?? ...and wat are the things i need to take care in selecting mcontroller for this application??

Your requirements didn't come out clearly yet. Choice of a microcontroller family is mostly a matter of previous experience and available tools and secondly of particular technical parameters. Your specification, as far as told, can be met by all major microcontroller vendors and a wide range of their chips, I think. You have also mentioned different programming methods, in-circuit programming by an external adapter (e.g. PICkit 2) and through UART using a built-in (either vendor supplied or user defined) bootloader.
I am totally getting confused
The problem is, that most microcontrollers on the market (except for some legacy types without ISP or bootloader option) met the criteria. In my personal choice, I have e.g. various PIC types, Atmel AVR, Philips and Analog 8051 variants, Renessas M16, TI MSP430, probably some more.

Your original question has been completely answered in my opinion, but now, you apparently want edaboard members to choose a microcontroller for you, but without knowing about the prerequisites. O.K., I opt for a PIC18. Microchip has a selection table for it. Or simply choose a type, that you can get in a DIY shop next door.

"sandesh564_123 " ur requirement is cleared to me..............
ur chip is NXP "P89V51RD2"
C-compiler "Keil u-Vision"...........
it has spi....................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back