Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programmation problems with PicKit 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELECTRONICIENSENIOR

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am using MpLab 8.92 on Windows XP with a PicKit 3 for a PIC16F1827:

PICkit 3 detected
Connecting to PICkit 3...
Firmware Suite Version...... 01.28.90
Firmware type......................Enhanced Midrange
PICkit 3 Connected.
Target Detected
Device ID Revision = 00000007

But sometimes :

Target Detected
Target Device ID (00000000) does not match expected Device
ID (000027a0).

Even if I stop supply of the target, disconnect and reconnect ICSP tool, the result is often the same.

And when it is connected I encounter programmation errors :

PICkit 3 detected
Connecting to PICkit 3...
Running self test...
Self test completed
Firmware Suite Version...... 01.28.90
Firmware type......................Enhanced Midrange
PICkit 3 Connected.
PK3Err0045: You must connect to a target device to use PICkit

Target Detected
Device ID Revision = 00000007

Programming...
The following memory regions failed to program correctly:
Program Memory
Address: 00000002 Expected Value: 00003fff Received Value: 00003ffd
Programming failed

Programming...
The following memory regions failed to program correctly:
Program Memory
Address: 00000004 Expected Value: 00003180 Received Value: 00002180
Programming failed

Sometimes if I restart the computer it works well during a few hours, and then fails again. The hardware remains unchanged. I use an ICP22 V1.0 mounted on a MB-102 breadboard. Attached is the schematic, where I have suppressed C5 on MCLRn, and R6 is only 470r.

May I have help please ?
--- Updated ---

I have made some experiments. I have three ICP22, with three PICs. One board has always the cap on MCLRn.

I have taken another MB-102, with supply adaptor, and I have connected to an usb port of the computer used with the PicKit. These two PICs are correctly identified and programmed (I tried three times).

I have taken the PIC which I use since many days, it is also OK.

The difference is that on my all breadboard I have a RS232 to USB and a logic analyser, both connected to another portable computer, but not in use at this time. And if I disconnect these two USB links the problem disappears !!!

GROUND LOOP PROBLEM ?

iCP22v1.0.jpg

Last edited:

I doubt it's a ground loop problem. More likely the other circuitry on the boards is clashing with the PICKit signals or even pulling the supply lines low if you are using the PICKit internal power source. Have you tried it with external (normal board power) applied or relying on the PICKit 3 to provide it?

Brian.

Yes of course I supply my breadboard with an external supply, and the current is about 40mA because I have the backlight of a 3"5 "arduino" TFT display, with ILI9488 controller, and RB6 and RB7 (data et clock du ICSP) are wired to part of the 8 bit data bus. I do not think it could be a high charge, because now without the USB links removed to the second computer seem to have solved the problem
--- Updated ---

The problem is not solved !!!

I have removed the display, and it programs. The datasheet of the ILI9488 is not very precise about input characteristics. I have added a 100r resistor in series with RB7 to the display, it seems working

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.