Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programmable logic newbie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z80

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have to learn Verilog for my new job, so I thought I might as well try and do something interesting while I'm it. I need some guiding lines on FPGA (programmers, affordable chips, online resources, etc) to get me started. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

u should search some sights of vhdl programing and companies websites like altera and xilinx...
also join groups like ASICDESIGN@yahoogroups...
that better

jay

what you can do is to start writing small pieces of code in verilog...uy can use book on verilog by samir palnitkar...for a start

I already started to read a book, actually I think it's the one that was mentioned earlier, but what I'd like to do also is get into some practical programmable logic device stuff (at work they don't use Verilog for programmable logic devices, can't give more details).

I think u need to learn first then only u can do hi-fi stuff....
still if u want to learn with projects.... tell me in which domain ur interested.. i will tell u what kindda projects will behelpful....
My opinion is .. dont learn only verilog... go trhu verilog and VHDL both.. that will be helpful to u..

I already studied a few books on Verilog. I asked about practical stuff because after a while it gets boring if you only use it at what is imposed by others (they use it for ASIC here). I'm interested into FPGA, I may need it once. I think I'll stick to Verilog, most of the people here (at work I mean) don't seem to like anything about VHDL and frankly I can understand them. Nevertheless, I begin to see Verilog's limitations too. I really think a superior HDL language should be created, when working in Verilog it feels like it was created for something else than hardware descriptio.

There are too many verilog examples in this forum. Use the SEARCH function, you can find them quickly.

start working on verilog examples from www.altera.com and www.xilinx.com.. there u will get many application notes... like FIR filter design , PCI bus implementation... WLAN impl... these are some of the examples..... u can go thru it... generaly u will get many examples on FIR.. and it imporves ur bio data values also...

Z80 said:
I have to learn Verilog for my new job, so I thought I might as well try and do something interesting while I'm it. I need some guiding lines on FPGA (programmers, affordable chips, online resources, etc) to get me started. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

If you are in US, you should learn Verilog but if you are in EU, you should learn VHDL. In my opinion, you should start learning VHDL although it’s difficult to get started but for a complex digital system, VHDL is better.

Secondly, there’re some famous company in FPGA field such as Xilinx, Altera, Actel, QuickLogic, ... You have to decide to choose the product from these vendors. From my point of view, Xilinx is the best solution. It also provides you free tool for programming VHDL and testing your design by showing timing diagram (WebPack 6.1 and free ModelSim 5.7)

For any design, it’s would be better to download your design into FPGA chip by using development board. There’re some free development board over the internet. Mr whizkid (member of EDA Board) recommend a free development board at:
**broken link removed**
But you can purchase a low-cost development board from Xilinx for Spartan families. Access Xilinx website and find more information about this.

For more practical VHDL example, access the following links:
www.fpga4fun.com
www.opencores.org

in addition, you can search this forum for more examples!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back