Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

programing 18f8720 with picstart+

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaun_c_m

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
picstart+

i am hoping that someone will be able to advise me on how to program a pic 18f8720 with a picstart plus, or guide me to a referance on how to achieve it.

so far i have tried to map the required pins of the picstart using an osciloscope to find which outputs are used for clock and data, and connected power and mclr into it aswell, unfortunately so far ive only got error messages.

there is a good chance that ive cooked the chip, and rather than potentially destroying another one, i thought someone here might be able to help. ive mounted the device to a schmartboard, and currently there is nothing connected to it. i cant really use a TQFP to DIP adapter as i will need to reprogram it after it has been in circuit.

these are the problems:

1, assuming that the device is out of circuit, which pins connect to which slots in the picstart? ive had a guess at it, but without knowing exactly what im doing i could just keep frying the devices

2, if i want to program the device in circuit, is the picstart capable of it? are there extra requirements ie resistors to partially decouple the pins?
unfortunately my attempt at this resulted in the picstart shutting itself down. i assume this is because the 18f8720 was trying to drive the circuit from the picstarts power pins, and looping through earth to complete the circuit.

3, if i intend to program this device several times, should i use something like IDE connectors to connect it into the rest of the circuit so i can physicaly disconnect all of the pins during reprogramming?

i would like to use this device but im getting the feeling that i could be a bit out of my depth

thanks in advance

18f8720

The PICStart+ is not an ICP, you might want to consider either an ICD2 or PICkit2 as both can program in circuit and the PICkit2 and its compatibles are cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.