Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Processes & Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinite_gbps

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've been pretty AWOL from this site but need to reconnect with the wealth of folks willing to help.

From what I understand a process is made up of a single or multiple threads, correct? Can multiple threads run concurrently or are they all scheduled at a fast enough rate so as to seems like threads run simultaneously?

Diving a little deeper, if on Window with multiple cores, can the OS theoretically schedule a single process' multiple threads to run on multiple processors? My first inclination would be no that an OS would schedule multiple processes to run on multiple cores but the threads of that process would be confined to a single core. Please correct em if I am wrong.

My next follow-up questions would be from the perspective of an RTOS.

Yeah.. OS can able to allocate the threads to be run on multiprocessors but it is quiet complex.... Actually threads can be used efficiently if there is any delay calls occurring in between your process..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back