Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

procedure to install cadence ic5 on fedora core 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

minuteman

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi
can some provide a step by step procedure to install ic5 on fedora core1.
regards
minuteman

You can add a envirnment variable in your shell. I use tcsh, so I add this line at .cshrc
setenv LD_ASSUME_KERNEL 2.4.1

Then, try to use softload to install the software.

hi
just to make sure that the ic5 reconizes it as a redhat 7.3 version kernel...thanks for ur tip.
regards
minuteman

Reactions: ba007

ba007

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi minutemen, are you successful with this procedure ?

thanks

hi
yeah i was successfulwith the installation. but i still get some library errors when i try to simulate...

Simulating `input.scs' on localhost.localdomain at 3:20:15 AM, Wed Apr 14, 2004.

Error found by spectre in `temp', during circuit read-in.
input.scs: N0 is an instance of an undefined model ami06N.
input.scs: P0 is an instance of an undefined model ami06P.

spectre terminated prematurely due to fatal error.

Where can I find ami library ?

i once used ami06 std cell lib for my project. the problem is mismatched pmos and nmos model names in your ami06p and ami06n model files. change the model aliase name to same one as molde name in sch(using system option in property of mos device).

rdgs

i resolved the issue by pointed the simulator to the correct spectre model libraries. the sims work fine now....

but i still have some small issues
* the component browser and the add instance browser do not work properly. the component i select in the comp browser doesn't show up on the inst browser.
* also in the Analog Affirma environment i am not able to remove or change the voltages or current values to be plotted once i set them the first time...

Hi Minuteman, is there any reason why you prefer to install IC50 on Fedora 1 instead of Linux 7.3? I am wondering if I can benifit from Fedora 1's AMD64 feature if I install IC50 on my newly bought HP a503n which has AMD64 processor.

Also, have you resolved all the issues you have? Even in Linux 7.3 you still can not delete the nodes to be plotted once you add them on, as far as I know.

Willy

Willy,

I switched to Fedora core coz it supports the latest systems. So u r right in using the FC64 bit for ur athlon 64 CPU system.
the problems i citied are not unique to fedora but are also present in rh 7.3....
i haven't been successful in fixing the 2 previously stated issues yet. we have to find a way to fix them otherwise it would be a big pain when we perform some large sims.
regards
minuteman

Hi minuteman and Willyboy19,

Can most EDA tools be installed in Fedora or RH7.3 in AMD64 based machine??

hi,
i do not know abt other eda tools. but ive installed ic5 on fedora core 1 on a P4 system..
hey willyboy do u see any improvement in the performance of ic5(32bit)with fc1-64 on athlon64??
i am plannin to buy a system in summer. even though ic5 is basically 32 bit i would like to know if it has an advantage when run in a 64 bit platform..
minuteman

Thank you for your reply, minuteman.

I have been wondering about the performance on both AMD XP and P4
system when they are used for EDA tools.

I use a athlon XP3200+ for circuit design.
will P4 based system can reach higher performance??

I don't think Intel's CPU is better.
In fact, at the same frequency, AMD's is better. And Athlon has a better float-point process unit.

Hi Minuteman and Aigneryu,

I bought the AMD64 processor with HP a530n PC. I installed Linux RH 7.3 on it and IC5 seems to run o.k. But I have not tried the Fedora Core 1 installation on this machine yet, so I have no idea weather this 64-bit processor is faster than its 32-bit counterpart.

Another issue: I was told that RH 7.3's IDE Hard Disk driver may not be optimized to run the current 7200 rpm Hard Disk. To maximize our new hard disk speed, we need to install certain patches. Do you guys have any idea where to download the patch?

Willy

Have you really experience a great deal of improvement in simulation speed, while it is compared to the other platforms??

Well, I do observe 2x improvement of speed compared with my laptop, but it might be due to the fact that this AMD64 machine has twice of memory.

As suggested by some guy here, the speed improvement may not show up if RH Linux 7.3 is used, which supports only 32-bit system.

Do you use other EDA tools such as Synopsys DC related products, or
other cadence tools? I am considering to suggest my professor to buy a new workstation, so I have to be sure that most EDA tools can run well.

I mainly use cadence IC5033, LDV51, SOC33, ASSURA30, Synopsys DC,..nanosim, hspice, Mentor Calibre 2003,..., Nassda Hsim3.0, Novas Debussy, Verdi, nLint,...

Can you or anybody give me some experience in these tools on AMD64 platforms?

Setting up 650 MHz Celeron laptop: best Linux choice?

Hi! I have a 650 MHz Vaio laptop that I'm going to make dual boot Windows ME and some version of Linux. Not a cutting-edge box, for sure...In a few months I will take a graduate EE class that requires HSPICE. Do you recommend Fedora or SuSE, or some other distribution, for likely HSPICE compatibility? I'd like to use SuSE if possible. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.