Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Procedure for downloading code into a Microchip microprocessor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maark6000

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello all, i am planning on making a quick youtube video on the basics of downloading code onto a Microchip microprocessor... it's not the most intuitive thing in the world and I think it would be helpful. But before I do... I wanted to run my procedure by all of you who are perhaps whizzes with MPLAB X, and tell me if I'm doing something wrong or if there are faster ways to do things. I am using a MacBook Pro with an ICD3, MPLAB X v2.15.

These are arranged in steps.

1. Plug in the ICD3 to the USB port on the computer. I find that if you don't do this first before you launch the IDE software, it's going to cause problems. I'm not sure why.

2. Launch MPLAB X.

3. Open your project.

4. "Build" your code if you haven't already. Hopefully it builds successfully.

5. Attach all the correct leads from your ICD3 to the appropriate pins on your chip, including necessary power and ground, resistors etc.

6. Power on your circuit, thus powering the chip.

7. At this point, the Status light will not be green, and perhaps there is some more correct way of doing this, but the only way I have found to get the ICD3 to recognize the IDE is to run the "Debugger / Programmer Self Test." Oddly enough, this will fail, saying something about it being used by something else... however, the Status light will go green, and we're good to go.

8. Press the little "download" icon on the top bar. If the pins of the RJ-11 jack are seated correctly (and lets admit that this is not always the case), the code will download, and you will receive a "program verified" response.

Before I commit that indelibly to a video on youtube, is there a better way, especially the mess that is step 7?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back