Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] problems with sending frame via UART

Status
Not open for further replies.

treyz

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I have a problem reading what is in my buffer.

I am sending a BIG frame: STX-DATA-CHECKSUM-ETX (1 byte each), from my PC to a PIC(18f4680) via RS232.

The things is, I am using a Blue LED to tell me if the buffer is filled in and a GREEN LED to tell me if the PIC can read the first byte which would be STX(0x02).
I can see the BLue LEd turns on but not the GReen Led. I have the right baud rate(9600 daud).
Do you have any idea of what might cause this issue?

I have attached my code.

Attachments

• code1.txt
    10.3 KB · Views: 95

Why don´t you echoes received data on PIC back to PC ?
This way you can debug each transferred byte.

+++

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me

I have already written a code to test my RS232 connections,and it works fine with one char then I carried on my project changing just the type of data that I am sending and no changes.
here is my code for testing rs232

Attachments

• RS232(good).txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 82

Are you able to send char like 'C' and do you want to send strings linke "Microcontroller" through UART?

You seem to be reading the RCREG inside the interrupt routine and again in the main() routine, is this what you intended?

Brian.

I still think that you must use UART to debug communication.
It is quite better to work.

You can even echoes received data, but also can attach another informations ( PIC counters, variables status, etc... ) :

Code:
STX-DATA-CHECKSUM-ETX-count#1-count#2-count#n-status#1-status#2-etc.....

+++

This is c code to send strings to UART. It assumes you have strlen() function in your compiler.

Code:
void UART_SendString(unsigned char UART_String[]);

void UART_SendString(unsigned char UART_String[]) {
	unsigned int i,j;

j = strlen(UART_String);

for(i=0;i<j;i++) {

TXSTAbits.TXEN=0;// disable transmission
  		TXREG=UART_String[i];            // load txreg with data
  		TXSTAbits.TXEN=1;    // enable transmission
  		while(TXSTAbits.TRMT==0) // wait here till transmit complete
  		{
    			Nop();
  		}
	}
}

Hi,

Yes ,I am able to send 'C', I don't want to send a String, but few bytes via USART, the things is, it seems like it stays in the buffer. Could it be a timing issue?

Hi brian,

I am not using any interrupts, if you can see, I put interrupt in comments.

One more things,
I have used hyper terminal to test my RS232 communications but, for the rest of my project I am using another communication software(I can't display anything into it), I am just using to send my frame.

- - - Updated - - -

This is c code to send strings to UART. It assumes you have strlen() function in your compiler.

[/code]

I am using c18 compiler from mplab

what actually does your frame consist of. can you give an example of your frame?

Interrupts are not commented in RS232(good).txt

Which code are you using?

Did you try adding a small delay betwwen each character transfer to UART?

Last edited:

Yes sure,

I am receiveing a frame, wich contains Delimiters such as : <STX> and <ETX>. Between those two delimiters, I have my datas such as <data><checksum>.
Each of them is 1 byte.

That frame is sent from a PC(a software created by my manager) to a first PIC(18f14680) via RS23, then this PIC send that same frame to a second PIC via SPI. That second PIC(18f4680)will send the frame to a system via RS485.
All the way the frame will be the same, if the checksum is correct,if not, it will not do anything.

Did I make myself clear.....?

Yes, you made clear, but where actually is the problem occuring? at the 1st PIC or 2nd PIC? OK. I think the problem is at the first PIC.

Can I see the code you are using to send the frame?

what actually does your frame consist of. can you give an example of your frame?

Interrupts are not commented in RS232(good).txt

Which code are you using?

Did you try adding a small delay betwwen each character transfer to UART?

Example of my frame: 0x02 0x01 0x05 0x03
I decided to not use interrupt for my 1st PIC. The things is the data is sent from the PC,it is in a buffer but the 1st PIC doesn't seem to read it throught.
I have tried smaller delay,bigger delay, nothing works.

- - - Updated - - -

Can I see the code you are using to send the frame?[/QUOTE]

The code is in my first post. :)

is the baud rate parity and other things set properly on your PC side?

Do you think the problem is in usrt_gets() function? Where is ReadUSART(); function in the code? There is no ReadUSART(); definition.

Last edited:

No, the software that my manager created doesn't allow me to make those changes.
So I am guessing, I have just my code....

- - - Updated - - -

is the baud rate parity and other things set properly on your PC side?

Do you think the problem is in usrt_gets() function? Where is ReadUSART(); function in the code? There is no ReadUSART(); definition.

Sorry about that , I don't think you have noticed that few pieces of my code are commected out.
I have attached the same code without them
About ReadUSART(), it comes from the library of the UART from the c18 compiler.

Attachments

• code1.txt
    8.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Sorry, I don't see the definition of ReadUSART(); function. Is it a library function?

OK. Your STX is 0x02 and ETX is 0x03, right? What is any other byte is 0x02 and 0x03 other than STX and ETX, what happens then?

OK. Your STX is 0x02 and ETX is 0x03, right? What is any other byte is 0x02 and 0x03 other than STX and ETX, what happens then?

Yes stx = 0x02 and etx= 0x03
then the all frame goes into the 1st PIC. This PIC analyzes the frame(performing a checksum and check to see whether or not data is in 8 bit), if everything is ok, then it can pass it on to the second PIC via SPI.

Status
Not open for further replies.