Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problems with Mplab ICD in macbook with usb serial converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasskon

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
icd converter

Hello I´m new in tsi forum but i have serious problem, well the question is, why my macbook not works so well programating and debugging PIC enviroment like a pentium IV?

I work with Mplab sowtware enviroment, with ICD2 debuger in circuit, in a 2.6 GHz macbook with 4 gb ram running windows xp in parallels 4.0

proteus bootcamp macbook

can you describe what is not working exactly ?

did you try to boot into windows (a la bootcamp) ?
and not emulate with parallel...

mplab hardware stack

Thanks for help me in this trouble.Well the question is; I can programate one time also two times a pic in my case 16f876a model. But... if i want reprogramate like three times more... the program is all times updating memory, and doesn´t work. The last time i was in my laboratory of my institute programating this chip I was like 10 minutes programating the chip and like 90 minutes restarting the fucking windows xp.

Whatever i say the important question is that the usb ports recognizes the serial converter, the icd2 drivers corectly instalated, the debugerr is conecting with tainner board, i can programate and also put breakpoints to see the program memory, but it comes a moment when my macbook get crazy!!!!!!

Greetings from Basque country,

icd 4 a mac book

si tu utilises bootcamp, en demarrant le mac completement sous xp (et pas en passant par parallel) est ce que cela fonctionne ou est ce pareil ?

aussi as tu essaye un autre pic ?

mplab paralles usb serial

Hi Kripton sorry but im not speak french well i have the translators in the web but is not my language i speak normally spanish also basque frecuently this two lasts year because i work in a little town near San Sebastian, Guipuzcoa,Pais Vasco, and unfortunatley Spain.......you know spain San Fermin,wine bull fight...

But I understand what you say.No... I dont have instalate xp in bootcamp, but is one of many solutions i´m thinking about. Parallels desktop 4.0 is the program that suport my xp windows. I´ve tryng programate the 16f876a pic, about two weeks, perhaps is no enough time to gettin start programating in a different enviroment, you know is mackintosh running xp, and also me personatly i´m not so good student in electronics.

The qestion is that my pc in the institute that is a pemtium IV run the mplab icd2 correctly, you know...you can debug a c language program wihthot a problem, seeyng all paramaters you want, like hardware stack, registers, wahatever you want.

Unfortunately my pretty mac that is a so good programating music (that is other istory that other day i could explain) programating chips is not so good. My mac have 4 gb ram but run Mplab like a pentium 2!!!!!!!!!!

Greetings from the other paralel world

Peace from south of Basque country

long updating memory mplab

hi,

I didnt try mplab on a macbook so I dont have anything to compare... but the drawback in parallel is that it emulates usb ports and graphic cards. so you can be slow with games, or not recognize usb doncgles for example, but it works fine if you boot the mac with bootcamp, it's like you have a real pc.

anyway, I never had a parallel running like a pentium 2, it's far faster than that. so your windows is perhaps corrupted ? did you install something else in the window part ?
isnt your hard disk full or almost (you need 10% free space at least)

can you make a new virtual machine with parallel and install only mplab in it ?
or install bootcamp should surely solve the problem.

hope this helps.

macbook inverter chip

Hi Kripton the solutions that you give probably are the best thing i can do this week i try to instalate xp from bootcamp or perhaps reinstalate the virtual machine with only electronic software in xp.

Maybe there´s too much software suporting xp. The list is this;

Proteus
Orcad
Mplab
Mpicprogrammer

Ares
Internet tv

Microsoft office 2004
Fire fox navigator
Avast antivirus

And macosx:

Logic audio