Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problems with installing Sun Solaris x86 on a PC with WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergiu_Q

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
solaris x86 eda license

Hi all
I try it all day to install Sun Solaris10 x86 on my pc ...but I have some problems
I have 2 HDD 80g ang 4.3g...and for the begining I try it to install solaris on the small hdd but is to small..and now I want to make a 20g parttion on 80g hdd for solaris..
I read all documentations from sun but I'm a little scary about this because I can lose all my data from my hdd .....
can anyone to explain me what I need to do for I can keep all data safe and to cab run both os on my pc ? (win xp and solaris 10 )

Sun Solaris x86

First, go get another HDD 80GB or bigger and image your old HDD to the new one. Powerquest makes good products to do this, e.g. DiskCopy, Drive Image or Partition Magic (PM). PM is the most flexible, you'll have to copy partition by partition though. Once your data is safely backed up use PM to expand, shrink, copy or move whatever partitions you want. I've successfully used PM to do this very thing but I wasn't overlly concerned about data loss so I didn't bother to back it up and everyhing remained in tact. Take the risk (small risk) if you can't get another HDD, but if you're worried about data loss you should back up.

Re: Sun Solaris x86

I think I will buy another hdd only for solaris ...but...I can select wnat os I want to use ..have Solaris a boot manager like linux?...

There is no EDA software support for Sun Solaris X86. The EDA for Solaris supports only Sparc. It is waste time to install Solaris X86.

Sun Solaris x86

sun solaris 10 x86 is capacable of running all linux application. so all eda tools for linux x86 would run on 10 x86.
see documentation from sun solaris 10 x86 release.
thanks

https://www.sun.com/software/solaris/10/ds/linux_interop.jsp

The Solaris Linux Application Environment (LAE) allows Linux applications to run unchanged on the Solaris OS when coupled with a Linux distribution. This enables businesses to take advantage of the innovations in the Solaris 10 OS without sacrificing investments in existing Linux applications.

Q. how about solaris x86 performance ,
if I direct use EDA on linux RH72 and compare with solaris X86 10 + linux ??

I want to instal IC5033 on solaris X86 and I know cadence run on X86 with no problem .....I select x86 option and when I instal cadence in suse linux....so where will be the problem ?

Sun Solaris x86

it may work well in x86 solaris
i dont know x86 10 will capabile to run all eda tools from cadence synopsys magma
if any install 10 x86 pls give ur feedback
thanks

Hello,

Sun Solaris x86 is not same as Solaris on Sun workstation. We could only use Linux version of EDA tools on it. However, why we don't use Linux platform directly?

treebear said:
Hello,

Sun Solaris x86 is not same as Solaris on Sun workstation. We could only use Linux version of EDA tools on it. However, why we don't use Linux platform directly?

no doubt ...but ..I want to see how will work cadence on this solaris x86..maybe will be more faster or will more stable ..sincerely I think my ic5.0 run too slow under suse9.0 ..and I hope this will be improved on solaris x86...

Check the SUN news related to the x86 Solaris 10. It stated that the Linux runing in the Solaris x86 environment suffered from 5% to 10% performance loss compared to the native Linux.

spweda said:
Check the SUN news related to the x86 Solaris 10. It stated that the Linux runing in the Solaris x86 environment suffered from 5% to 10% performance loss compared to the native Linux.
are you sure ?
....look at sun web site once again....
"Customers who want the stability and security of the Solaris Operating System and the flexibility to also use Linux applications won't have to wait much longer. The forthcoming Solaris 10 Operating System (OS) will include a remarkable new feature that allows customers to run Linux applications unchanged on the Solaris OS.

By enabling this functionality, code-named Project Janus, administrators can create an environment for running a range of Linux applications at near-native speeds. Sun is offering Project Janus as an optional kernel service of the Solaris OS, enabling administrators to run Linux applications in a new and unique way on x86 platforms. In keeping with Sun's long-standing support of industry standards, Project Janus is designed for compliance with the Linux Standard Base specification.

Not only is Sun providing leading Linux compatibility, it's at no extra charge. Project Janus functionality is included in the Solaris 10 Operating System license price, and it is designed to be compatible with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3. The technology includes installation tools to easily activate the feature of the Solaris 10 OS.

"
https://www.sun.com/2004-0803/feature/

Status
Not open for further replies.