Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problems with amplifier LM4861

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinusw7

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I'm testing the LM4861 chip to amplify the audio signal that comes from the PWM output of a ATTiny85.
I'm using the amplifier as suggested in the typical application section of the **broken link removed**.
My problem is that there is a strong buzzing both when playing a sound and in quite mode. I've added a low pass filter to the PWM signal but that didn't help. I guess it must be the amplifier that adds the buzzing. Is there an easy way to filter/stabilize the amplifier output?

Thank you in advance.

Martin

Dear Martin
Hi
You can use a notch filter in your out put. do you have an spectrum analyzer? if yes you can see , that what is the frequency of those noises , and you can design a simple notch filter to remove them.
By the way , did you designed PCB for that , or probably used bread board????? and did you used shield wire for your input wire ? these are very important
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, I don't have a spectrum analyzer or an oscilloscope here.

Yes, I'm using a breadboard for testing. The microcontroller and the amplifier are placed next each other on the breadboard, but I'm not sure if the wires are causing the problem. Before the LM4861, I was testing with a TDA2822 and there there was no buzzing problem. I want to use the LM4861 because of its shutdown function.

My LM4861 is maybe defect (due to all my tests with different setup), I will get a new one and see if there is any difference.

My friend!
We have a parameter , that called , noise ratio and noise number , and that depends on the internal circuit of the IC s , probably , the noise ratio of that ic is higher than TDA . try with shield wire as an input wire.
Respectfully
Goldsmith

Hi Goldsmith

Thanks again for your help. I've been able to solve the problem: The shutdown input caused the buzzing. In the datasheet is written that when this input is set to Vcc, then the amp will shut down, but I didn't know that it has to be connected to ground to operate correctly. I simply left the contact unconnected which caused the bad output signal. After connecting to gnd all went well :)

Regards
Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.