Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problems Programming a Pic18f2550 With an off-the-shelf JDM programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MustaineV

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This is the programmer I'm using, it's a JDM Programmer and it comes with a CD with Winpic800 V 3.6 c , one weird thing is how where the arrow is in the manual it shows a right/left switch (dunno what they're called:grin:)

2gvjvxl.jpg

Now I put the Pic18f2550 in the programmer, hook it up with a serial cable (F to F, with a gender changer on the Programmer's side) and hook it up, the green LED turns on, I set the type in Winpic and try to write a HEX file to it, (written specifically for it, I might add) nothing. It gives me an error (containing the line 0x000, will screenshot it if that'll help).

Now I admit I'm not good at all with electronics, but this seemed like a simple enough job for me to do. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it a software problem?

Thanks in advance :)

Read the manual fully. The JDM programmer is used to program different packages of PIC (28 pin and 40-pin). The switch is used to select the pin configuration,
First check whether your IC is detected by using Detect device button shown in figure below

Once the device is detected , check the configuration settings

Regards
Sivakumar

Check the switch settings in the JDM programmer as specified in the manual.
If possible upload the manual

Turns out it was a cabling problem, I took it to a shop where he used his own cable and the HEX flash went smoothly.
Now one more thing, I'm trying to build this :
PSGrooPIC.18F2550V1.2.png

I tried breadboarding it, but can't seem to get it to work, since it's my very first breadboard/circuit, maybe I wired something wrong. Can someone show me what a breadboard diagram for this circuit should look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.