Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Problems installing Orcad 16.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam_MM

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I tried installing Orcad 16.5 once but my power went out mid-install, so I deleted the installation folder, removed it from my programs and features via control panel. Then, when I tried to re-install it, this message popped up during the installation. I tried deleting anything with the Cadence tag from my computer but I couldn't reinstall it. Same message popped up every time.

Also, when I tried to follow the steps in the pop-up message, nothing happened. (Empty shortcut.)

Please help. :)

Capture.JPG

Questions:

* I see the words 'current user'. Is the program installed under your username or someone else's username? Did you also uninstall it under that username?

* Does your username have administrator's privileges? This might make a difference whether you can perform installs and uninstalls. Sometimes you need to right-click and choose 'Run as Administrator'.

* Interrupted power could cause several things to corrupt. A system restore might help at this point.

* The registry may have been corrupted. If so then recovery could be impossible unless a major editing job is done for all entries having anything to do with Orcad. Expert knowledge is required for this, and even then it may not solve your problem.

Your uninstallation was not done cleanly. You try to uninstall once more; if that fails, try uninstalltion from the the control panel (programs- not windows components). If that too fails, you need to go into the registry. Did you install it as administrator?

Deleting folders and application is NOT the recommended way to remove programs. Did it ask for some key?

No.
M(current user) is me.
Yes, I have administrator privileges.
I can't system restore.

Tried uninstalling from control panel.
There is nothing uninstall again.
I installed it as an admin.
I know.

* Do you have another version of Orcad? Try to install it and you may be successful. Then try to upgrade to your newer version.

* The registry is still suspect. Somewhere it may contain one or more entries which are Orcad related. When the installer spots these entries, then it throws up the error message. If you do a lot of searching you may find step-by-step instructions to edit the registry, so as to remove the last evidence that Orcad is installed.

Unless you have detailed instructions it's a bad idea to touch the registry. If the registry becomes corrupted, the computer may cease to operate properly. Then you would need to do a fresh Windows install.

* This is a possibility. There may be some file which the installer creates on your hard disk (maybe in your system folder). The application looks for this file each time it runs. The file may contain information about your license, valid start and end dates, etc. If you can delete this file then that may permit you to install Orcad again.

Last resort:

Open the registry (regedit) and make a backup;

Search the registry (it is usually massive) for Orcad or orcad;

Pay attention to Hkey_Local area.

Do not delete any key at this time.

Reactions: Sam_MM

Sam_MM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com