Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problems in converting FPGA to ASIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhytr

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
convert fpga to asic

I am learning how to use Design Compiler,so I try to synthesize one of my design which is implemented using Xilinx FPGA.Because I do not have a long-term project support,I can not get any help from the vendor and I encounter some problems listed below,Can anyone give some advices to help me ?So that I can synthesize my design using Design Compiler successfully

1.A multiplier is used in the datapath of my design and it is implemented using a Xilinx IP Core,can I use "*" directly in my RTL code for Design Compiler synthesis? Will it be synthsized just like the core gengerated by Design Ware??

2. A adder/substracter is also implemented using Xilinx IP core in my design,how can i write my RTL code to implement it for Design Complier Synthesis?

3.ROM,single port RAM,dual port RAM are all used in my design,how can I implement these without vendor's help?My goal is not optimization,functional implementation is acceptable.I mean that,at least, I can do the timing simulation using the sdf file generated by Design Complier.

Thanks a lot for your help!

u can do all our questions
u can specify adder in DC just tping what type adder u wanna include in ur design (CSA,RC ...)
u can change adder infer the adder .
i forgot the commands.
sorry

i will give you a script which flatten all DW components , you have to run script after compile and do a compile -incremental_mapping after script, it will solve all your doubt.
For security reasons i cant put script in foroum.

mhytr

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
> 1. ... can I use "*" directly in my RTL code for Design Compiler synthesis?

Yes, the basic version of Design_Compiler will automatically turn the "*" operator into a DesignWare component. If you have more advanced DC license (like DC-Ultra, or Designware-Foundation), then the speed/area of the multiplier can be further improved.

> 2. A adder/substracter ...

Design Compiler has Designware components for all basic arithmetic operations (+, -, *, /, %.)

assign as_out = addsub ? ( a + b ) : ( a - b );

^^^Current versions of Design Compiler are smart enough to automatically convert this RTL into an addsub Designware unit.

> 3. ROM,single port RAM,dual port RAM are all used in my design,how can I implement these without vendor's help?

You can't...if the RAM/ROM is "small" (under 1000 total bits...), then you simply write the RAM/ROM using normal RTL-code. The synthesis-tool will use flipflops to implement your RAM/ROM -- this is not efficient, but usable.

The larger the memory-structure gets, the longer/harder Design Compiler will struggle to compile your memory. For example, if you are using the whole area of a BlockRAM (18Kbit), you will *NEED* the RAM-compiler toolset from your foundry vendor.

when you use rom ram or eeprom flash , you must consult your library vendor .

The adder/substractor is with carry out and carry in.If i write the RTL code just like the way i implement in C.Will it take too many gates? Suppose a and b are 32 bits,
when do substraction,i have to write one line of comparsion:
if(a>b)

If i write the RTL code just like the way i implement in C.Will it take too many gates? Suppose a and b are 32 bits, when do substraction,i have to write one line of comparsion:
if(a>b)

What do you mean by "too many gates"? For each arithmetic operation in your RTL-code, Design-Compiler will allocate/create 1 Designware instance to implement it. A compare-operation (<, >, <=, >=) will use slightly fewer gates than a conventional adder, because the compare-output is just a single-bit (true or false.)

The "basic" Design-Compiler license (DC-Basic or DC-Expert) are not smart enough to group/share arithmetic resources. For example:

assign sum1 = a + b;

assign sum2 = b + c;

assign sum3 = sum1 + c; // a + b + c

assign sum4 = a + sum2; // a + b + c

The above causes Design Compiler to create a total of 4 adders. It's not "smart" enough to recognize the mathematical equivalent of sum3/sum4. The above math really only needs 2 adders (since sum3 and sum4 are equivalent.)

if ( (a + b) > (c + d) )
mysum = a+b;
else
mysym = c+d;
// DC synthesizes into 4 adders + 1 subtractor!

^^^ This is another case where Design_Compiler will waste gates to build redundant adder/subtractor units.

// "Help" Design Compiler re-use resources
assign sum1 = a + b;
assign sum2 = c + d;

if ( sum1 > sum2 )
mysum = sum1;
else
mysum = sum2;

// ^^^ DC synthesizes into 2 adders + 1 subtractor.

(Note, I think Design Compiler Ultra will auto-detect some of my examples, and automatically extract redundant operations.)

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back