Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with timing and multiple edges in Manchester Encoder circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Msakhy

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to design a Manchester Encoder circuit using a PISO shift register and an XOR gate. I ran into a couple problems.

1. Timing: I need to synchronize the shift register output with the clock (clocking it) i.e. I need to delay the clock (running at 100 kHz) by td (the IC’s time delay) which about 16ns.

2. Multiple edges: I need to eliminate the edges caused by the simultaneous switching of logic states of the gate (XOR) inputs (i.e. NRZ/binary data and clock signal respectively)

Help in this regard would be highly appreciated. An alternative design is also welcome!!!

Email me at: khumalosn@webmail.co.za

Re: Manchester Encoder

Play with this some years ago
Don’t remember what and way I done
All gates are 10ns pd

I tried to simulate your circuit and I come across problem 2 mentioned above. I want to know if you actually built the circuit. If so, what SIPO shift register IC did you use (I used a 4015 in my simulation) and at what frequency were you clocking the system. I also have trouble tracing how the data generator works.

NO, its only simulation and the shift register is virtual
The data generator is liner feedback shift register all components have 10n pd the clock frequency 100Khz

Hi, Its very simple. Use a D_FF (D flip flop) and an XOR. The Q output of the D-FF is going to one input of the XOR and the other XOR input is going to the input of the D_FF. Now you put you data stream into the D-FF and use the clock to clock the D-FF. this is how you make perfect MCH.

Paul.

Hi PaulHolland,
Yes, XOR its good idea

Hi, Your almost correct. I used a simple D_FF and an XOR function. Decoding can be done with a simple D_FF, in the clock input you put the clock signal and D will be MCH coded signal. That is all :).

Paul.

Hi

The problem is that in real life , the transition of logic state is delayed i.e. a ramp function (with rise time = tr and fall time = tf). When the inputs of the XOR change state at the same there are undesired edges (spikes) at the output. SEE PROBLEM TWO ABOVE. Most simulators will actually show this phenomenon – I see your timing diagrams do not show this. The D-FF method exhibits the same results, (i.e. “confused” XOR at simultaneous transitions) I simulated it on EWB Multisim9. Yes the cascaded and gates do solve the delay problem (PROBLEM ONE ABOVE).

I think spikes occur because the clock not synchronize with the shift register output
To avoid glitch try to use double frequency clock
Clock/2 used for the shift register and clock used for sampling DFF
Because clock previous to clock/2 DFF will latch data before spike occur by clock/2
The output will delayed by 1 Clock/2 cycle

:cry:

Schematic error CLK/2 should be connect to Q and not to QN

Status
Not open for further replies.