Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with the NEC emulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

eepty

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
nec emulator

I have been trying to use a MCU which I had never touched before - the NEC MCU. It's the 78K0 series, 30 pins SSOP type MCU. The emulator provided for it is named "IECUBE".

At first, I think the development environment is good as NEC provides a software tool called "Applilet" which can help me to set up the configuration and initiation very easily. However, when I try to connect the adapter of the emulator to my target board, I almost got mad. The pins of the adapter are 30 pins SSOP itself. Another adapter, something like an exchange adapter, is mounted above it. The size of the exchange adapter is bigger than the target adapter so the pins of the target adapter is covered by the bigger adapter. I am wondering how can I solder/connect this 30 pins SSOP adapter to my target board!! I tried a whole day but still can't figure out the way! I have tried to use the 0.2mm wire to connect it to my target board, but the pins are too small and too narrow that I think it is impossible to do that Then I checked the NEC web, found that there is no another adapter.

Anybody used this emulator before? Can anyone tell me how to use it?

Could you give me a picture ? I couldn't understand your question. I also use IECUBE emulator and also use Applilet software, there are very good for me.

I have used these emulator.

Tell me what you want to know?
:p

firmware said:
Could you give me a picture ? I couldn't understand your question. I also use IECUBE emulator and also use Applilet software, there are very good for me.

I have attached a photo of my adapter here. I mean I can't connect this adapter to my system.

How do you use this adapter? Someone suggest me to use infrared to solder it on my PCB....but I do not have this equipment.[/img]

At first I think you got the wrong adapter and need to order the new, but you said you checked the NEC web already, found that there is no another adapter. Do you have an e-mail address of technical support engineer of NEC ? Try to contact them for ask the good way.

firmware said:
At first I think you got the wrong adapter and need to order the new, but you said you checked the NEC web already, found that there is no another adapter. Do you have an e-mail address of technical support engineer of NEC ? Try to contact them for ask the good way.

Yes, so do I. I also think that this adapter is inapropriated. However, actually, this adapter is provided by the application engineer from NEC. In fact, this is not my project, because my colleague who handling that project has left office for his vacation, I have to study how to use this MCU and emulator because this project is urgent indeed. The NEC engineer has come to our office, installed all the software and give us the emulator and adapter.....

One thing I would like to tell you, this is a good tools. Currently I'm use it in my job.

firmware said:
One thing I would like to tell you, this is a good tools. Currently I'm use it in my job.

I don't know whether it is good or not, but if I can't use it easily, it is not good enough, at least for me. Also, the information, instruction or specification of their development tools on their web is not good enough too. Besides, I really want to ask why are there so many adapters between the emulator and my system? There are at least 3 adapters between the emulator cable and my PCB! You know they charge for each one! Why don't they just provide one cable and one connector which can connect the emulator to my system?

Status
Not open for further replies.