Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with stepper motor: is my stepping sequence correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seemanta

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
stepper motor sequence

Hi,
I have a stepper motor which was lying idle until I decided to make some use of it. I just want to first test it by making it turn for a full 360 degrees.

It has 5 wires: one is common and 4 are coil inputs. I have hooked it up with my AT89S52 and a ULN 2803 as per the link:
https://www.freewebs.com/maheshwankhede/stepper.html

The stepping sequence I have applied is:

<pre>
Coils: 4 3 2 1
Excication pattern: ON OFF OFF OFF (1000)
OFF ON OFF OFF (0100)
OFF OFF ON OFF (0010)
OFF OFF OFF ON (0001)

</pre>

However, in stead of the motor rotating a complete 360 degrees, it behaves in a different way.

For the first pattern(1000) it just moves a bit in anti-clockwise direction, then it moves a bit in clockwise direction for the second pattern(0100) and then for the last two patterns(0010 and 0001), it does not move at all. So, after a complete step sequence the motion produced in the motor is just an oscillatory motion : a bit of anti-clockwise followed by a bit of clockwise motion.

What could be wrong here? Is my step sequence incorrect ? Can you please advise?

regards,
Seemanta

wiring sequence stepper

Hi seemanta,

I have worked with a few stepper motors and the difficult part is surely identifying the correct stepping sequence. In most cases I figured it out myself by trial and error method. Try to turn the motor by applying supply manually ie, without using a microcontroller.
Before that make sure all the coils are working. You can use a continuity tester or an ohmmeter.
Best wishes...

incorrect windings of stepper

This happens when exciting the windings in a wrong order. It should be very easy to find the order, where any step moves forward.

P.S.: In addition, you should verify with an ohmmeter, that you selected the right wire as common terminal.

why does stepper motor does not turn clockwise

The stepping sequency is correct, although, as others have pointed out, you need to determine which coil actually gets powered in which sequence for the motor to rotate correctly.

What bothers me most is that it does not move at all during the last 2 steps. Did you check the wiring? Are you sure the coils are OK? I would just connect them manually to a power supply and check to see if there is movement at the shaft. The shaft should move one step to one side or the other whenever you apply power to a coil. If there is no movement, then something is wrong with that coil.

how to connect a sequence motor start

the sequence you have created is right but i suspect in some other issues:

-send me the stepper motor wiring, cause you may mistaken in connecting the stepper wires to the driver.
if you have these colors connect them according to this sequence:
1 - brown
2 - orange
3 - black
4 - yellow
-connect the common wire to VCC and the coils terminals to ground via transistors or the driver, thats a better connection in my opinion.

hope it works

karim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back