Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with relay driver as the LEDs of relay are always on

Status
Not open for further replies.

auto_mitch

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have built a pcb with an atmel tiny2313 which drives a few relays. the mcu drives the relays through the 2N3904 transistor. parallel with the relay's coil a 1N4148 diode and a 1k resistor with a led are connected. the power supply of my circuit is 24V. The problem is that, without the mcu on board the leds of each relay are always on. what is going wrong?

Re: relay driver problem

Bases of transistors are floating and can pick-up 'something' ..
Try to add 10-100kΩ between the Bases and GND (Emitters) ..

Regards,
IanP

I agree, the base of the transistor is not completely off when the MCU is not applying power.

relay driver problem

what about using some simple circuit. See this circuit
**broken link removed**

just one resistor, no problem and a commonly used one

Bibin John
www.bibinjohn.tk

relay driver problem

or use some relay driver chipset.

you can drive relay by ULN2003 , cost is also very low and easy to interface with microcontroller

If your relay load requirements are not too heavy (over 1/2 Amp on the contacts) I can recommend the Fairchild HSR312 which I use in several projects. Opto-isolated, up to 400V for the load, super-low "contact" resistance, and bi-directional (AC capable) on the output.

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/HS/HSR312.pdf

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.