Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with reading the LM355z temperature sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woody1189

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is anyone familiar with the LM335z Temperature sensor? I am having trouble getting my Handyboard to interpret the readings correctly. I'm not sure if the schematic online is correct and could use any help whatsoever.

Schematic-http://makezine.com/images/07/sensor.gif
U1 =Op-amp chip OPA 4241PA

NEED HELP

The LM335 is a Kelvin Temperature sensor, 0.01v per degree Kelvin so expect just under 3V for room temperature. I don't know what a Handyboard is so I can't help you with that.

I've hooked the LM35 directly to a PIC A/D pin and they read fine.

Re: NEED HELP

the handyboard is a microcontroller designed by M.I.T. , would you say the lm35 is more accurate than the lm335 or will i not notice a difference?

NEED HELP

It's pretty much the same part, One is Kelvin the other Centigrade. There are quite a few varieties the LM34 is Fahrenheit.
I've used an LM35 (or LM34 will work too) on my newest kit prototype. Funny it's also called a Cricket.
**broken link removed**

Re: NEED HELP

how should i go about connecting the lm35 to a microprocessor's analog input?

NEED HELP

Directly to an analog I/O pin, RA0 is often the first analog pin on many PICs.
If you need accuracy you'll need to provide a reference voltage. I've used the TL431 (a 2.5v shunt reference) on RA3 (the VREF+ pin) The TL431 should have a 2.7K resistor between +5 and it's K and ADJ pins (the Anode goes to ground).
With it hooked up and configured properly the PICs A/D will have a 10bit (1024 steps) conversion between gnd (0V) and VREF+ (2.5V). The LM35 (0C is the lowest value it can read in this mode) will output at 23C (0.23V) and the A/D conversion result will be 0.23/(2.5/1024) = 94 (it chops off the remainder)
You'll need to multiply this result by 4.096 to get the value in C
I find it's easier to stick with integer math and do this in my kit.
94 * 125 / 512 (512 is extremely easy to divide on a computer (throw away the LSB and shift right))
A slightly more elegant approach is to round up the result using the LSB. I'll be posting project details and schematic on my site soon.

PS here's a schematic of a typical weather station with a PIC.
**broken link removed**

NEED HELP

your circuit is perfect. To get better output dont use those may channels of opamp. Even with Single channel u can achieve it.

Try with only one channel and with unity feedback.

u should connect the i/p resistors to the opamp.

no problem if u use LM335 or LM35 or any other try with this u will suceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.