Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with pic programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eraser

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
16f2550

hello to everyone!!!!
i have build the brenner8p pic programmer, but i connect it to the pc but the pc doesn´t detect the programmer, and i dont know why.
by the way the firmware which i have program the pic 18f2550 is 0.9
As im a roockie i need help to put programmer working.
the web site of this programmer is:
**broken link removed**

winpic8000

Greetings,

I built two of those and the biggest problem I had was to MAKE SURE THE TRANSISTORS ARE IN THE RIGHT WAY!!!!!!!!! I never had a problem with Windows not detecting. It may be the software not detecting. Unplug the programmer, start the software, then plug the programmer in. One LED will go on, then off. Then the other will go on , then off. Then click "DETECT PROGRAMMER". It should detect.

How did you program the firmware into the 18F2550? I used a JDM programmer and WinPic (NOT Winpic8000). It took several tries until I figured out to SLOW THE TIMING DOWN when programming the 16F2550, and program with 13V.

Also, double-check all of your connections - especially the traces that go between IC pins. It is very easy to solder-bridge those connections.

The brenner8 is an excellent, free USB programmer. Once debugged, it will work flawlessly. Good Luck!

Hope this helps,
Computerman29

usburn is not in database

Computerman29 said:
Greetings,

I built two of those and the biggest problem I had was to MAKE SURE THE TRANSISTORS ARE IN THE RIGHT WAY!!!!!!!!! I never had a problem with Windows not detecting. It may be the software not detecting. Unplug the programmer, start the software, then plug the programmer in. One LED will go on, then off. Then the other will go on , then off. Then click "DETECT PROGRAMMER". It should detect.

How did you program the firmware into the 18F2550? I used a JDM programmer and WinPic (NOT Winpic8000). It took several tries until I figured out to SLOW THE TIMING DOWN when programming the 16F2550, and program with 13V.

Also, double-check all of your connections - especially the traces that go between IC pins. It is very easy to solder-bridge those connections.

The brenner8 is an excellent, free USB programmer. Once debugged, it will work flawlessly. Good Luck!

Hope this helps,
Computerman29

Hello, and thank you for your anwser....
i dont know what the programmer because a request a friend to program it.
my friend took several times to.
3 tmes i guess.
i will try do what you told me and more doubts i ask

Added after 29 minutes:

By the way the bootloader is needed????
i check and all components are in right way.

usburn for vista

Yes, the bootloader is needed. There are two ways to program the firmware.

1) Program the bootloader into the 18F2550 and install into programmer.
(this file:bootloader_1_0.hex)

Plug the programmer into USB port (with jumper installed)
Start software. It will go to firmware update automatically.

Install Firmware.
(this file:b8_fw_08a.hex)

Verify operation, then update firmware again.
(this file:b8_fw_0_10.hex)

OR

2) Program Bootloader/Firmware into 18F2550.
(this file: b8_fw08a_boot10_ee.hex)

Plug the programmer into USB port and Start software.

Verify operation, then update firmware.
(this file: b8_fw_0_10.hex)

The #2 way works the best for me. You may want to try both.

Also you must calibrate the Vpp before you use the programmer. This is done with the software which is easy to follow. Make sure you have the latest version of the software, and don't forget to install the driver.

brenner8-p english

The driver what you said, i have a folder here with that name, but thers no exe file only .sys .pdb and .Nms, how can i setup that?????
let me see if i understood what you told me:
first: i programm the pic with bootloader
2nd:i plug the programmer and start the usburn and It will go to firmware update automatically.
the firmware to pic is sent with brenner isnt it, not with other programmer?

brenner8 pic programmer schematic

Program Bootloader/Firmware into 18F2550.

Plug the programmer into USB port

Windows should detect the programmer and ask for a driver.

Direct windows to the folder with the driver

Install driver and ignore any warnings.

The programmer should now be functional.

All future firmware updates are now done with the brenner and the software.

After you get it working, update the firmware to the latest version.

All .hex files are found in b8_fw.zip

brenner8 error code 997

Thank you very mutch.....
I will do what you told me and any problem i post here.

brenner8 bootloader

Computerman29 said:
Program Bootloader/Firmware into 18F2550.

Plug the programmer into USB port

Windows should detect the programmer and ask for a driver.

Direct windows to the folder with the driver

Install driver and ignore any warnings.

The programmer should now be functional.

All future firmware updates are now done with the brenner and the software.

After you get it working, update the firmware to the latest version.

All .hex files are found in b8_fw.zip

I have done what you told me , but the problem continue....
i program the pic with this file:b8_fw08a_boot10_ee.hex
plug the programmer with the pc, but the windows dont detect him...
the LSP, what is this????? is needed?????
This files boot_0_4mhz,boot_0_8mhz and boot_0_20mhz are needed too, or one of these?

usburn error 997

i fear whether the 18f device needs Vpp before Vdd .. please check

Sarma

brenner programmer

The Brenner 8 is not a VPP before VDD programmer. If you program some PICs with internal OSC and internal MCLR on you will probably need a VPP before VDD programmer.

brenner 9 programmer

The Lsp1, Lsp2 pads are used for what??''
The schmatic is posted bellow..[/img]

pic-breneer sprut vista

Well that version would be able to do VPP before VDD, it powers the target PIC with a couple of I/O pins.

LSP1 & 2 are test points.

brenner8 components and schematic parts list

Make absolutely sure the 2550 is inserted correctly, check all connections and parts to make sure they are inserted correctly. Use the SCHEMATIC (.sch), not the board (brd.) to debug. Compare the schematic to your board. There was an error in the board file. One or more transistors were backwards. I don't know if it was corrected or not so use the schematic.

Compare the schematic to your datasheets for the parts you use. Maybe not what you think? Eg. transistors BCE insted of EBC? Also check diodes.

If you still can't get it to work, maybe a bad cable? Or cable too long? Or maybe your computer does not have enough power in USB port? Plug the USB into the back of the computer and NOT into front panel.

I'm still guessing the 2550 is not properly programmed. It is tricky. It took me several tries to get right. Tell your friend to verify two or more times and slow the timing down when programming the 2550. Maybe increase Vpp?

usburn fehlercode 997

Computerman29 said:
Make absolutely sure the 2550 is inserted correctly, check all connections and parts to make sure they are inserted correctly. Use the SCHEMATIC (.sch), not the board (brd.) to debug. Compare the schematic to your board. There was an error in the board file. One or more transistors were backwards. I don't know if it was corrected or not so use the schematic.

Compare the schematic to your datasheets for the parts you use. Maybe not what you think? Eg. transistors BCE insted of EBC? Also check diodes.

If you still can't get it to work, maybe a bad cable? Or cable too long? Or maybe your computer does not have enough power in USB port? Plug the USB into the back of the computer and NOT into front panel.

I'm still guessing the 2550 is not properly programmed. It is tricky. It took me several tries to get right. Tell your friend to verify two or more times and slow the timing down when programming the 2550. Maybe increase Vpp?

What is the length of your cable?????
Mine has 1,8meters.. its an printer cable..

Added after 4 hours 29 minutes:

The brenner i made is equal to that.

i change the schottky diode, i put bat 85,and in filter i put a 12uH coil, others components are the same...

simple pic programmer vpp before vdd

The pc already detect the programmer, but the us burn dont..
i already install the driver, but the problem remains..
could be , because i use windows vista?????

Added after 1 hours 36 minutes:

i have tried in windows xp, and works..
for windows vista does existt any driver???
sorry for my english...lol!!!!

sprut english usburn

New PIC Programmer using USB

visit : http://jazariee.googlepages.com

USBProgv2fulladsiap-custom-full.jpg

brenner 9 programmer problem

This looks like a modified verion of Microchip PICkit2.

brenner8 programmer

Sometimes when i'm programming a pic , give me an error ,the message is "error code 997", anyone knows what is this error??????

usb programmer brenner 8 vista driver

I built Brenner mini programmer, first I burnt the bootloader (b8_fw08a_boot10_ee.hex), then I've plug to USB, then I've install the driver, and last upgrade to fw (b8_fw_0_10.hex).
It works (I hope, because a I did not tryed progrmming PIC) but under the XP device manager there is a yellow question mark, here is the screenshot:
**broken link removed**
What is wrong?

brenner 9 programmer

I think it's normal, because in my windows the yellow question show up too.
in the programmer datasheet the yellow question mark appears too.. so it's normal...

Status
Not open for further replies.