Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with Papoulis Exercise, Probability question

Status
Not open for further replies.

claudiocamera

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
papoulis 0.49 0.52

Solving exercises in Papoulis’ book, I came across a doubt regarding an exercise and its answer provided.

The problem is:

A fair coin is tossed n times. Find n such that the probability that the number of heads is between 0.49n and 0.52n is at least 0.9.

The answer is : G(0.04√n) - G(0.02√n) >1.9 , hence n> 4556.

Usually the numbers given is this kind of problems are simetrical in relation to np in order that we have an equation in the form {2G(f(n)) -1 > probability required} . These kind of problems are easily solved looking at normal table. In the way it was present I can’t figure out how to solve it, since in my opinion we have two icognits for only one equation. How to find it from the table since I have two different values G(0.04√n) and G(0.02√n) ?

Any help in claryfing it ?

solved exercises papoulis

The probability is symetrical about the 50:50 point so take 0.5 of the probability between .48-.52 plus 0.5 of the probability between .49-.51. I would have done it another way as the probability of any head/tail combination is

(H+T)!/H!*T!

and the total number of possible combinations is 2^N

the answer I got was 4200 (it needs to be a multiple of 100 because you can't get a fraction of a head).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back