Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with MSP430 JTAG: could not find device (or device not supported)

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaoum

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello

i have the MSP430-1121STK from olimex and their Jtag tool, i use mspfet but when ever i try program it i keep getting this error message:
Error. Could not find device (or device not supported)

If i try program it on another pc it works well, but it doesent work on my pc.

Could some one please tell me what im doing wrong.

Thanks

msp430 jtag problem

If you get connected with another PC, it seems to me that you are not doing anything wrong.
You should first check your Parallel Port and its configuration in BIOS. Change it to SPP, and try to check all JTAG signals in olimex board (writing and reading directly to the LPTx).
You may also check LDO regulator and try an external voltage supply for the MSP (instead of using the LPTx power)

anaoum

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
msp430-jtag could not find device

i have tried changing the settings in the bios. i am using an external power supply. and i am pretty sure that the jtag is getting some of the signals because it manages to reset the board.
Nothing is working!!
Someone please help me!!!

test pin jtag msp

make sure you have shoosed the right device (MSP430 part number) when you connect it.

anaoum

msp430 error:someone else is using the port

It is not necessary to specify the device, at least with mspfet.
Maybe you are in a very noise enviroment,
- Remove the external power and leave just the JTAG and the uC. (check the 3V supplied by JTAG)
- Remove en external clock source, resonator, etc. (leave just the internal RC)
- Shorten all connection (PC port to JTAG and JTAG to uC)
- Are you using a parallel port extender cable? try removing it

anaoum

msp430 jtag

Hi

Some FET need DC to operate check that the DC in your circuit is ON and reach the JTAG port

The MSp430F1xxx use the test pin for operating of the JTAG port check it

Check to see that you didnt plug the Jtag connector upside down !

All the best

Bobi

anaoum

msp430 parallel port bios

I am going crazy!!

i have tried everything, i even bought a new parallel port. But nothing is working.
Somebody please help me!!

msp430 probleme

Hi

Maybe you damage the chip Jtag port and you need to replace it

A damage to the Jtag Port can occer if you connect signals without power to the jtag port

Plce a scop on the jtag pin to see whether signal are in the right level and not overloaded

The easy way is to replace the chip

All the best

Bobi

anaoum

msp430 jtag connector

hello,

i have just tried the exact same setup on two other computers and it worked perfectly. is there any special settings in winxp that i have accidently set??

thanks

buffered jtag 74hc244 74hct244

i have connected a printer to the same parallel port, and it worked. So im pretty sure the the parallel port is ok. I just dont understand what could be wrong!!

jtag noise msp430

Try in another OS(win 98 or win 2000) in the same pc, power the board and pc from the same power supply, run any jtag test utility first before debugging.

anaoum

could not find a connected msp430 device

Try putting Buffer 74HC244 between JTAG cable and MSP
Also ensure that u have pullups (10K will do) on JTAG signals

anaoum

could not find msp430-jtag on specified com port

First:
Verify that you have a 74hc244. The 74hct244 doesn´t work n this circuit due to this need 4.5 to 5.5 volts to work.

Second:
Remove internal power supply of jtag interface and use external power supply from your application board.

Third:

If you have any reset supervisor CI in your application board remove the reset output to programming the microcontroller. This type of CI cause failures in programming/debugging entry.

If you have a debugging tool try to debug with JTAG board, if the debugging work then you have a problem MSP430Feet tool.

If this doesn´t work repase soldering, and if this doesn´t work try testing another microcontroller.

anaoum

msp430-jtag olimex

hello,

i am confident that there is no problem with my jtag hardware, because it works on other pc's. I thing there is a problem in windows.

msp430 failures

Ya i have experienced this in many installations if it works in other pc mostly the major problem around 75% will be in the OS :)

anaoum

Status
Not open for further replies.