Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with Maximum Forward Current of LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirahmadian

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.
In some books and sites, it is said that the maximum forward current of a light emitting diode (LED) is about 30mA. But I exprimented with a LED and I noticed that it was working with 150mA forward current. When the LED was on, I measured the current using a digital ammetre and it was about 150mA. If the maximum current was 30mA , my LED would have been destroyed completely,No? but it works fine! It is a typical LED emitting white light.
And I have another question. What about Infrared LEDs? What is their typical maximum forward current?
Thanks.

In some books and sites, it is said that the maximum forward current of a light emitting diode (LED) is about 30mA.
You'll find the maximum current rating in a datasheet for the specific LED type, not in "some books". Continuous and pulse current rating (for different duty cycles and pulse widths) has to be distinguished.

Typical continuous current ratings of IR LEDs are in a 100 mA range, pulse currents considerably higher. But: Read the datasheet.

1W High power LED's can be of the range 350 / 700 mA / 1 A as well ! For Example: Cree LED / Osram (1W: 700mA) and the maximum forward current can be upto 1A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back