Not open for further replies.

chartman

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
DS89C420 ISP problem

I have a 420 board with some SRAM and other bits on it. The ISP pins are hard wired ( RST to VCC, EA,PSEN to gnd) so I can just program the chip.
I can logon to the 420 loader ( using the 420 0.04Beta software from the www), I can erase the device and get 4400 CRC . I can display memory contents. When loading a small Hex file,(200 bytes) I see % loaded + errors.Sometimes I get "loading done"( x errors) sometimes , with another file , I get "invalid hex file" errors.
On loading the small hex file, I get 1A C0 for the first two bytes instead of 02 04.This seems to be 100% consistent although the number of errors and % loaded seems to vary.The hex files load correctly into our other programmers.

I have tried various baud rates ( down to 9600) and both hardware/ XonXoff protocols with no difference.
I can get it to do the same thing with Hyperterminal, but what is the syntax for loading a hex file . The manual says "L" or "LX" but what do I have to do to get the hex file transmitted?
I'm really stuck.
Any ideas greatfully received.

Re: DS89C420 ISP problem

Hi,
I used the programming utility from dallas, and I had some kind of similar problems, like yours. I did not figured entirely from where the problem was, but a substantial decrease of error number was observed after I improved the quality of my power supply. Check your power supply, to be 5v, noise as low as possible, and put a large tantalum cap (100-470uF) near the chip, along with 100nF near each vcc pin.

1. Are you sure you are using the correct HEX file?
2. L commadn in the Hyperterminal then choose send text file.
3. Be sure to erase it first using the K command before using the L command.
4. Series of G's will come out as a feedback for correct transmission of program.
5. The program MTK has some bugs if you do not have a capacitor in your reset and a resistor.
6. Be sure you are supplying enough power to the chip.

If any other problem arises, contact me.

Just additional, what is the use of SRAM? are you loading the file in the SRAm or FLASH?

I fixed it....... Dallas Semi sent me this link **broken link removed** and suggested I use the KTK software .

Now it works 100%. It still doesn't work using loader.exe but I don't care.
Thanks for your replies.

SRAM is for data storage only.A large array. program is loaded into on-board Flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.