Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with grounding in PIC16F877

Status
Not open for further replies.

u04f061

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am having problem with PIC16F877. First, I have simulated my program in Proteus and it works fine, so there is little chance of a programming problem. But in hardware, my controller works well if I touch it with hand(when I am connected to earth). Morover, I have tried the following:

1 - As I am using PORTC(PORTB and PORTD) of the PIC, I have tried both pulling it up and down, through a variety of resistors, but it did not give the right output.

2 - I have checked and re-checked the floating ground problem, but in vain. I have also tried different power supplies, but did not succeed.

3 - When I do not touch it, the PIC does not turn off, rather it gives a wrong output. This wrong output is a clock at some pins and any pulse with a different cycle on the others.

4 - I have directly and indirectly shorted the pin to earth, but of no use. Moreover, I connected a resistor equal to my body resistance and tried to pull the pin and up through it, but still it did not work.

At last, I want to clarify that it actually does work when I earth it through me. I have checked for a variety of outputs.

Re: Problem with PIC?

Did you put capacitor for filtering supply? If you didnt, put 10µF capacitor just on the exit of voltage regulator...
38_1193779944.jpg

I often had some stupid problems with my pic if I didnt put it... If this is not it, than I dont know:)))

Re: Problem with PIC?

General tips:

1) Don´t forget to connect both Vdd (2 pins) and Vss (pins) in the 16F877.

2) Don´t forget to connect bypass/decoupling 100nF capcitors near (the nearest the better) the Vdd to Vss pins.

3) Breadboard circuits can introduce parasitic capacitances in the oscillator/crystal circuits.

4) Put the crystal near the osc pins of the PIC.
Shorter connections and tracks are recommended in this aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back