Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Problem with ground effect on gain pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.

redcrystalline

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi
i've designed an antenna that supposed to have omni directional gain about 3 db, i tried IFA, PIFA , and any other kind of antenna,i've seen this results:
1- when the ground plane is small pattern is omni but gain is below 1 db
2- when the ground plane is big gain is about 3 db but pattern is directional
then how can i have both omni directional pattern and maximum gain of 3 db?
thanks

I guess, you are talking about planar (2-D) structures and want an omnidirectional characteristic in the XY plane? Please clarify.

A true omnidirectional charcateristic could be achieved with a circular polarized structure, but not with 3 dB gain.

first of all thanks for your consideration,
actually yes , all of antennas are planer in x-y plane and antenna should be small, polarization should be linear, what do you suggest?

If you have an antenna with a ground plane, the ground plane reflects energy and thus you get a higher direction and gain.
If you have a perfect omnidirectional antenna you have an gain of 1dBi. You get gain when your antenna focus the radiation.

you're right, actually my supervisor wanna omni-directional gain of 2 db with beamwidth of 100 degree, is that posible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back